tarver198

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I bought an Asus EEE pc Seashell edition in 2010, and pretty much right after I got it I was getting S.M.A.R.T errors on saying the drive is going to fail (it was my gf's computer so she basically ignored it.) Then about a month ago she showed it to me and I replaced it asap although it was a pain. I installed it in my hot swap bay in my case and has been working great for me but have been getting errors from windows saying its going to fail. I also used gw scan 5.12 to test it and it said the same thing but the test turned out ok. I was wondering if the S.M.A.R.T error in this case is wrong because I have had it last 2 years with no problems any advice?

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I got a SMART error once that my hard drive is failing, it said " back up and replace", I formatted the entire hard drive, repatitioned and SMART has been silent ever since :))

tomatthe

Distinguished
It's basically trying to predict that a drive is going to fail, usually not that it has already failed. People ask about smart errors being wrong fairly often, and they aren't wrong it may just be your drive lasted a lot longer then some others. It may never fully fail, its just trying to give you a chance to backup your data in case it does, or get it replaced under warranty if it still has one.

tarver198

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Ill try to Wipe and it and reformat it cause of the stupid partitions Asus puts on there see if that works, also I have ruled out the cable because I had smart errors in the netbook and in two different hot swap bay slots.