Sign in with
Your question

Creating user account has lost all my files

Last response: in Windows XP
November 15, 2012 6:56:59 PM

OK quite simple;

Have XP 64 Professional on my laptop and have never had user accounts setup, never had a login or anything so all my programmes, files, everything built up over the last few years have presumably been on as the 'Administrator'.

Recently tried to setup a user account for my girlfriend (non admin obviously) but in order to do so had to setup myself a new account as an administrator.

Guess what happened next?

My new account with my name doesnt have any of my programmes or files and can't get at them in any way!

Is there any way I can get back to how it was before with no accounts? It wont let me delete the new named admin account.

The only way I can logon as non-named administrator profile now is by booting in safe mode which as you can imagine is not desirable.

All I want is to get it back to how it was before I created the user accounts! HELP!
November 15, 2012 7:09:39 PM

Just got worse - trying to rectify the problem I set a password for the Administrator account whilst in safe mode. I now can't logon as my named account OR the administrator account with the password I just put in so am completely locked out of my own computer!

This is the single most retarded thing I have ever come across using PCs and can't believe it's happened. Have just spent 5 minutes typing in every permutation of every password I have ever used and am starting to question my own sanity.
November 15, 2012 8:40:31 PM

Read this about account usage in XP http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/guides/manage_users.sht...

About the password issues, you need to figure out what password you used, if you had caps lock on or not, needs to be exactly what you typed in. Without seeing exactly what you did to the accounts, it's hard to say how to get the logon back. But keep in mind, every user has their own Documents, Favorites and Desktop. You may want to find a friend to help you that knows about how user accounts work in Windows.
November 15, 2012 11:02:05 PM

tenmantaylor said:
OK quite simple;

Have XP 64 Professional on my laptop and have never had user accounts setup, never had a login or anything so all my programmes, files, everything built up over the last few years have presumably been on as the 'Administrator'.

Recently tried to setup a user account for my girlfriend (non admin obviously) but in order to do so had to setup myself a new account as an administrator.

Guess what happened next?

My new account with my name doesnt have any of my programmes or files and can't get at them in any way!

Is there any way I can get back to how it was before with no accounts? It wont let me delete the new named admin account.

The only way I can logon as non-named administrator profile now is by booting in safe mode which as you can imagine is not desirable.

All I want is to get it back to how it was before I created the user accounts! HELP!

:hello:  jim here go to uses account & set up a admin account then set up her account as guest ur done :bounce: 
!