datdatcat

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi, I am so not hardware savvy and may not be asking the right question, but here goes...I need a new computer a.s.a.p. It seems my choices are something with an AMD Quad-Core Processor or either an i3 or i5 processor. I understand one is better for gaming, which is not what I would be using it for. I used it for basic stuff, and lots of music and photos. What can you tell me about these processors? And I see no one really recommends buying a computer from Best Buy, so where do you recommend?

antisyzygy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

A top of the line Phenom II X6 costs 300 dollars.

I would recommend a Phenom II X4 955 or 965. That will run you around 180

What on earth are you talking about? $650 for a Pentium 4 system? That stuff is antiquated....

If all the OP needs is a system for online stuff (not gaming) he/she can easily get a decent enough PC for $700.

As for the original question:

i5 > i3 >= AMD

It all depends on which CPUs you are actually comparing. Dual-Core, Quad Cores, and which ones. Some i5 chips are lesser than AMD Quad Cores. Where as the i5-750 is better than most AMD Quad Cores. Lots of factors.

tyko

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Wow, people need to work on their ability to detect sarcasm... but I wonder if he mistyped that? He is seriously willing to go up to 700 dollars on a CPU or maybe there has been a misunderstanding. By the context of the sentence, I would say he means that he's willing to go up to 700 dollars for the computer without peripherals. Most likely if he actually meant the CPU, he would have said he didn't need RAM or a GPU. Instead however, he mentions not needing a printer or monitor.

datdatcat

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
She does not need peripherals. She does need a COMPUTER. Thanks. Even I know I can get a decent computer for $700 or so, and I definitely don't want to buy a Pentium 4 for $650. I'm looking at a couple of different HP's with Quad or Dual Core. The deals seem to be better on the AMD. The i3 prices aren't too bad, but i5 and i7 are up there. I do want a fast computer, but again it's for work and media storage mostly. Thanks all!