[Water Cooling] Just setup my first WaCo Loop, is it restrictive?

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hey everybody,

I just put together my first water-cooling loop and had some troubles getting the pump to create flow when I began leak testing. I got it to work once I sealed the reservoir (making it a closed loop), however, I'm wondering if the turns I created with my tubing creates too much restriction for the pump and if I should rearrange it.

Here are some pictures of the loop:

BuGzdl.jpg

eOsMIl.jpg

BTW the loop order is: Pump > Radiator > CPU Block > Reservoir

Thanks!

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
So, I leak tested it for a good 8 hours and it seems to run well. Only problem is that I hear the water going into the reservoir - it sounds like one of those mini-desktop water fall decorations...

I'm gonna add more fluid tomorrow morning, is that the correct thing to do? Or is my loop just not fully bled yet?

Pictures :hello:

wa9iBl.jpg

Leak testing!

Undw9l.jpg

Mmmmm MDPC Sleeve...

w7hREl.jpg

Noctua NF-F12 + Alphacool ST30 Sandwich

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Thanks for the input, I was(am) contemplating getting a couple rotary 90's to make the path from the bay res to pump more a straight shot. Those rotary adapters are damned expensive though.

Here's the rig from the front (I'll take better pictures tomorrow morning, I promise)

YLx9Tl.jpg

robustus64

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ok first off best pump config is pump to cpu first for highest flow to cpu then to rad then back to res then to pump again but over all your loop looks fine try to top off the res as high as you can and i had to even pick up my case and turn it on the side and stuff to get all air out with my old box that had a bay res sim to yours..

If you are hearing the radiator or pump gurgle then you have air still trapped in the system.

As robustus64 said, tilt your computer in every direction you can without dumping the reservoir into the system to get the air out.

Then turn your pump on and off while testing to move air that may be cavitated in the system. Refill your reservoir at any time you see it dropping during this procedure.

As far as the tubing routing, you have no sharp bends so you shouldn't have any problems. The only problem you should have to watch for with your tubing would be if it kinked.

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

I heard that the best order is Pump > Rad > Block > Res so the CPU block gets the coolest water possible.

It seems to gotten most of the air out over the course of the night, but I will try your suggestion today and let you know how it works out.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Loop order really doesn't matter as long as your pump doesn't suck air through it, which is why almost everyone sets up reservoir -> pump in that order so the pump will always pull water from the reservoir which is hopefully higher than the pump inlet so air can be purged.

When it comes to loop order and temps, order doesn't matter unless you are worried about 1-3C difference in water temps (water temps being different than reported load temps of CPU, GPU, etc).

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
So I filled up the rest of the reservoir, its pretty much 99% full now. No more gurgling noise, woo hoo!

Another quick question, if I'm running a 3570k @ 4.8Ghz and ~1.39V VCore are temps around 75-80C normal while running Prime95?

Also, if I have a reservoir already is it too much if I install a drain/fill port or a T-line to make draining+filling/bleeding easier? Would it affect the overall performance of my loop as well?

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012

NO, if you have a good enough pump no amount of fittings, T-line, etc. will matter. I have used several 90, 45, angles, etc. all Bitspower Compression and none caused any issues. My system is HUGE, a 24 inch cube and heavy, not possible to tilt. It has a T line and shutoff valve. All the fittings in the build cost about $300 so yes, they are expensive, but the really nice ones always are and well worth it.

As to the temps, it depends upon what tests were being ran in Prime95 at the time to task the system. It seems a bit high, but I don't know what parts you used for your pump, size of tubes/fittings, etc. No cause for concern, but something you may be able to lower if you check into it.

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Using Small FFT's with 4 threads (1thread:1core).
Parts (In loop order):
1) XSPC Single Bay Reservoir
2) Swiftech MCP35x
3) AlphaCool NeXXos ST30 120mm Radiator + Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans X2
4) XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

Using 3/8"ID, 5/8"OD PrimoChill Advanced LRT Tubing, XSPC Compression Fittings, and Distilled Water + Mayhems Pastel White dye. (All components were adequately flushed with water, 91% isopropanol, hot water, then leak tested + ran with PrimoChill's SysClean for 12hours)

**My system is HUGE, a 24 inch cube and heavy, not possible to tilt**
Whats up man? not enough muscle? :p
my rigs bigger/heavier than yours but I can still rotate it around all axis' to bleed hehe,
Man up son :)
@Op, you've already figured out the full res equals quiet res part, just keep an eye for dropping water levels and top up as needed
but the reason for 'high' temps there is the pitiful lack of radiator space :)
you want either another 120 in there or remove the existing 120 and find a way to fit a thick 240 rad imho
Moto

sluggercz

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Considering I'm using this case:
q08-01.jpg

as well as trying to keep everything internal, I don't think I will be able to fit a 240 radiator anywhere unless I cut out the top - even then it would have to be a slim 240...

I think you just gave me an idea for my next project :p

Would 120mm + 240mm of total radiator space be enough for a GTX 670 + i5-3570k both overclocked?