smash_74

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello, I'll start by explaining what I need to do with my pc. I play heaps of poker and use various software in the back ground. I need to run 2 monitors for a start. I multi table and use table nynja to help me with that which is running in the background. I also use holdem manager which uses postgreSQL data base, also running in background. I need to have all this running as well as a internet page open at the same time. My computer is a dinosaur and can't handle any of this. I need to sometimes import a lot of data and in the future would like to be able to upgrade to a SSD hard drive but can't afford it at present, so components need to be compatible please. I've heard someone does this and uses a intel i7 cpu and only uses 10% of it so I would prefer something cheaper if this is overkill. Thank you in advance.

Solution
^ Will MSY.au be good ?
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
Here is a list of parts from that website and it seems to be a very good online store in AU...

CPU -
X4 945

Mobo -
Gigabyte G-B MA770T-UD3

RAM -
4G Kit DDR3 1333 PNY/ Kingston

CASE -
Antec NSK4000B-II/ Antec 200

Graphics card -
HD 5770

HDD -
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 Drives

PSU -
Corsair VX450

This would come under $800 and has a powerful Quad at 3.0GHz along with the HD 5770 you mentioned...
And will be a good setup for your requirements...

bliq

Distinguished
I'd say core i7 is overkill but if they're doing what you want to do, and it's stressing the processor at 10%, that's actually a lot of load. Still any current dual core should be fine. SSD is nice but not necessary. If you are very resource constrained, I'd guess there are several computers in the classifieds that could fit your needs. They don't actually sound that heavy. I'd bet a $200 used computer could handle that fine- trade off a faster processor and more memory for a less nice 3D video card and you'll be set.

smash_74

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within next month.

BUDGET: $600 - $800

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: As above, playing poker, downloading data, surfing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.pcdiy.com.au

PARTS PREFERENCES: Would rather use intel and gigabyte, however if a similar system could be built using AMD etc that would be nice to know.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe.... UNSURE WHAT ANY OF THIS IS??????

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2 x 1600x900 monitors will be used

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like to be able to update in future, eg more ram and hard drives.

Was thinking of using AFX ATI Radeon HD 5750.

Hope this helps thank you.

^ Will MSY.au be good ?
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
Here is a list of parts from that website and it seems to be a very good online store in AU...

CPU -
X4 945

Mobo -
Gigabyte G-B MA770T-UD3

RAM -
4G Kit DDR3 1333 PNY/ Kingston

CASE -
Antec NSK4000B-II/ Antec 200

Graphics card -
HD 5770

HDD -
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 Drives

PSU -
Corsair VX450

This would come under $800 and has a powerful Quad at 3.0GHz along with the HD 5770 you mentioned...
And will be a good setup for your requirements...

Solution

smash_74

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks so much gkay for fast and excellent response. This is what I was after. Now I just have a couple quick questions. Firstly with the ram, can I use either 1333 or 1600 and I would assume 1600 is better so that would be my choice yes?
Second question is. Does the PSU have to be Corsair or would the Thermaltake V3 Case with 450W PSU do the job.
Lastly yes MSY is also a top shop, I have both price lists and where I go they are actually next door to each other, so I will check them both out fully when I'm ready to go ahead. Thanks again.

^ Well as for the PSU, I would stick with Corsair/ Antec EA or TP or NEO Series/ OCZ Mod series or Z series/ Cooler Master Real Power or Silent PRO/ Seasonic/ Silverstone/ PCP&S

Go with a 450W or above PSU from the above brands...
As for the thermaltake PSU, there are also crappy ones so I wouldnt suggest those without knowing the proper model...but the above manufacturers only offer high quality ones...

And as for RAM, using 1333MHz or 1600MHz wont matter much unless you plan to overclock your CPU...