ASUS P6TSE + 920 BOOT PROBLEM

OverclockStar

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
If its not broken, then why fix it?!

I heard it a thousand times so then why when I had a stable overclock at 3.Ghz did I continue to play with the OC? short answer, CPUID HW Monitor was showing my CPU temperature at close to 100c on a stress test, so I was trying to address the issue.

PROBLEM: The system will not boot, I get one short beep on power up, followed by another short beep a few seconds later but no video output whatsoever!

What Ive tried:
Remove Battery
reset CMOS with Jumper
take memory out try to boot with one stick

All the system fans are working and it all looks fine except no video output.

My tail is firmly between my legs, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Regards

System:
P6TSE
i7 920
Zalman ZF1125BTH CPU Cooler
6Gb Kingston HyperX 2000Mhz
Nesteq X Strike 850
Sapphire HD5970
Samsung 2Tb HD

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Did the problems start right after you torched your CPU to 100C? In other words, once you saw that temp, were you ever able to successfully boot up after that? If not, your CPU is probably now a very expensive paper weight, unless you can RMA it for a replacement.

The single short beep means the POST successfully ran. Why you got a second short beep, I don't know.

Now, here's what a lot of people do not consider. The POST does not check the video card. It checks just the interface to the motherboard. If something in the rendering or output portions of the card is bad, the POST will never detect it.

You need to test monitor, cable, and video card in another system. Or borrow a card and see what happens in your system.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
If it was the video card, the PC would revert to the onboard graphics and you would see something on the monitor. Letting your CPU get to 100C most likely fried it. Pull your HSF, leave CPU in, boot up for 1-2 minutes (max, then shut down) and if your CPU isn't warm/hot, it's dead.

That's not good advice at all. It only takes a matter of seconds for a CPU to heat up to dangerous levels without a HSF installed. You should NEVER run a CPU without a HSF installed.