Closed

Can't turn System Restore back "on"

Hello, I just need technical help, here's my problem, my OS is Windows XP
Proffessional Version 2002 (Service Pack 1), now recently I had to turn off
System Restore to get rid of a pesky trojan horse virus (and I did
successfully). The problem now is I can't turn it back "on". I've gone to the
troubleshooting pages and used every method and I get the same error messages

"Could not start System Restore Service on Local Computer"
"Error 5: Access is Denied"
"System Restore cannot protect your computer right now, restart and try again"

Yes, I am the administrator of the PC so I have access to everything.
PLEASE HELP!!
5 answers Last reply
More about turn system restore back

    Daniel, check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
    Select S and scroll to System Restore.
    "Daniel Cabrera" <Daniel Cabrera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I just need technical help, here's my problem, my OS is Windows XP
    > Proffessional Version 2002 (Service Pack 1), now recently I had to turn
    > off
    > System Restore to get rid of a pesky trojan horse virus (and I did
    > successfully). The problem now is I can't turn it back "on". I've gone to
    > the
    > troubleshooting pages and used every method and I get the same error
    > messages
    >
    > "Could not start System Restore Service on Local Computer"
    > "Error 5: Access is Denied"
    > "System Restore cannot protect your computer right now, restart and try
    > again"
    >

    > Yes, I am the administrator of the PC so I have access to everything.
    > PLEASE HELP!!

  2. Anonymous : the link you provide is note very convinient (many entries on one page). The link indicates that you can activate system restore through "Properties" of your computer (right click). I have the same problem as Daniel, and the "System Restore" tab in these Properties are missing, so I can not use the link you indicate.
  3. Quote:
    Anonymous : the link you provide is note very convinient (many entries on one page). The link indicates that you can activate system restore through "Properties" of your computer (right click). I have the same problem as Daniel, and the "System Restore" tab in these Properties are missing, so I can not use the link you indicate.

    [#0005ff]There are several reasons you can't turn it on and one of them is available disk space. How much free space do you have on your hard disk? It's also possible that it's already turned on but has corrupted files and can't work. For that one you need to turn it off in Control Panel>System>System Restore. Take the tick out and click Apply, then OK an drestart eth computer. That will lose all your current restore points but they were probably no good anyway. Pop that tick back in and reduce the space required from twelve percent to five. That gives you fewer points but of better quality.[/#000ff]
  4. [#0005ff]I should add that you might actually be blocked from making changes to the system by Group Policy. Is this your own computer and do you have an Administrative User Account?[/#000ff]

Configuration Computers System Restore Microsoft Windows XP