Sign in with
Your question

Im retarded, and need help lol.

Last response: in Storage
April 1, 2012 9:33:08 PM

So i just got an SSD and im loving how fast it is, but now my retard has come out to play and i need serious help!

Its a 60gb which i only want to put World of warcraft, windows 7 (of course) and a few other programs. I know how to download stuff to my HDD but how do i install programs onto it! It doesent even give me an option to where i want to put it.

I have never used multiple storage devices on one computer and i am simply lost. I want to keep pretty much everything on my hard drive and only a few programs on my SSD, how do i go about this?

More about : retarded lol

April 1, 2012 9:56:55 PM

Can someone reply please : )

Right now i am wanting to get the program "space sniffer" to find out what is takin up most of my SSD but whats funny about that is, i have no idea how to install it to my HDD so im just sitting here in limbo lol.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 1, 2012 10:00:48 PM

almost every program gives you an option to pick the install path manually, you just have to pay attention instead of spamming next
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2012 10:03:52 PM

Thats what i thought, but its not happening lol.

I have downloaded multiple things, and no where has a box came up asking me where i want to download stuff to, it just automatically puts it on my SSD.

My HDD is working and recognized, i can browse all its folders and everything.

Please, anyone help!
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:06:41 PM

Sorry, i didnt mean downlload i meant install. I have chrome set to download to my HDD's download folder. BUt once i want to install the software etc that i downloaded, it gives me no box asking me where i want to install it, it just automatically installs it to my SSD.
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:14:18 PM

Dude seiously , every program asks where to install.
Can you name the programs, so i can help you.
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:15:16 PM

Ok im really friggin confused.

I didnt format my HDD, i just unhooked it when i installed my SSD and hooked it back up once i got windows 7 up and running. Please explain this to me:

I have files that are only recognized by winrar on my HDD, which winrar is installed there, but now they are not being recognized when i click them and it asks me to download winrar from the internet again.

How is it possible that i have winrar installed on my HDD, yet it does not recognize those files?

Do i need to put winrar on my SSD or something? Should i just format my HDD and start fresh?

Ugh, so confusing lol.
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:17:05 PM

@ Mitun

I Just got razer synapse software (mouse drivers) and it did not ask a location, it simply installed it to my SSD.

But can you explain my post above to me please? How is it possible winrar does not recognize its file types?
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:18:53 PM

Scotty99 said:
@ Mitun

I Just got razer synapse software (mouse drivers) and it did not ask a location, it simply installed it to my SSD.

But can you explain my post above to me please? How is it possible winrar does not recognize its file types?

Oh, that is a driver which needs to installed where the windows is installed.
For drivers you cannot choose.
For games and other apps you can choose.
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:19:44 PM

Disable your page file on that drive and put it on the HDD or if you have more than 8 gb of ram just disable it entirely. That will free up quite a bit of space and your SSD will last a lot longer because of the page file not on it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2012 10:30:29 PM

move program files to D: / Program Files
run cmd as administrator
type mklink /d C: / Program Files D: / Program Files
repeat for Program Files (x86)
now google "mklink" before doing it so you understand what it is :) 

reinstall WoW anywhere but Program Files; because that would put it on you D: / drive!

EDIT:
actually you will still need a folder called C: /Program Files but it can be empty, you are fooling windows into thinking that everything on D: / is actually on C: /
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:31:06 PM

Ok im really confused now, i just set the page file to "none" on C drive, and the videos i saw require a restart, this didnt happen for me, nor did it free any space up on my SSD.

Whats crazy is if i open space sniffer it clearly shows i have an 8gb page file on my SSD.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2012 10:34:56 PM

Scotty99 said:
Ok im really confused now, i just set the page file to "none" on C drive, and the videos i saw require a restart, this didnt happen for me, nor did it free any space up on my SSD.

Whats crazy is if i open space sniffer it clearly shows i have an 8gb page file on my SSD.

it will stay there until you delete it
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:43:37 PM

Ok i just restarted and im back to 42gb's of my 55 total, score! Odd that it didnt ask me to restart like the videos i watched, oh well im happy now.

Now i just gotta figure out how to optimize properly, ive already disabled hibernate with command promts, moved page file, and i checked to see if TRIM was operating with command lines and it in fact is.

Anyone recommend a benchmark too see if my SSD is running at proper speeds?

WAIT ONE MORE THING! Almost forgot, my SSD is showing up in my taskbar as removable media and it gives me the option to "remove hardware safely" almost as if it was a flash drive, is this a normal thing after setting AHCI mode?

Also, any other tips for new SSD user appreciated : P
m
l
April 1, 2012 11:28:59 PM

Hello,
just to point some info, wow was 33GB for me without 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 patch.
So it might not be a good idea after all to have windows 7 64bit + wow + pagefile etc etc, on a 60GB SSD.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2012 11:57:26 PM

Turn off system restore and hibernation to gain more space.
m
l
!