Sign in with
Your question

Problem with PCI video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2010 7:42:19 PM

Hello,

I recently had my PCI express video card die on me and am trying to install a PCI video card to replace it. I have a Geforce 8400 GS that I got from a friend for dirt cheap and thought it would make a quick fix until I get the money to upgrade to a nice new pci express card. Now the problem is when I install the pci card into my computer i get nothing but a black screen and a beep and everything else seems to be running(fans and such) including the pci graphics card. Is my motherboard stuck on pci express as my primary video interface, i know the card works I put it in my wifes computer to make sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

More about : problem pci video card

a c 271 U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 7:50:18 PM

Do you not get a POST screen?
m
l
February 26, 2010 7:52:42 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Do you not get a POST screen?

Nope nothing, just a black screen.
m
l
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 7:56:37 PM

Have you tried resetting the CMOS to see if it will pick up the first available video card?
m
l
February 26, 2010 7:59:03 PM

yeah, I reset the cmos and still got nothing, though with a pci-express card in it works fine, friend just brough his over and it works no problem, wondering if there is a bios setting or something that I can change to make it recognize the pci card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 7:59:29 PM

what is the new card you are installing? and what motherboard is it going in to?

the first obvious things are to make sure your video cable is plugged into the card itself (not the regular onboard video card) and to make sure your PSU is up to the task (though if everything else is running, this shouldn't be the issue)

i know these things are obvious, but many people miss the simple problems.

m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 8:04:16 PM

There may be a setting it the BIOS to set 'Init display first' if so set that to PCI or auto.
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:04:24 PM

The card is a Evga GeForce 8400 GS and I am trying to install it into a Tul Xpress 200p mobo. there is no onboard video. PSU is 550 watts and is near brand new, cards calls for minimum 350 watts PSU
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 8:10:45 PM

:o  Three attempts to post before it goes through and I still had to edit :pfff:  . Don't worry about power, you have more than enough as the 8400GS can run on less power than you get from a rabbits fart.
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:40:01 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There may be a setting it the BIOS to set 'Init display first' if so set that to PCI or auto.

there isn't an option in the bios for "Init display first' or anything else that I thought may be the same sort of thing.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 8:54:32 PM

The only boards on the website all have onboard graphics, which model do you have?
m
l
February 26, 2010 9:41:58 PM

model number AX480A7-F
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 10:00:38 PM

In the BIOS under the 'Chipset' tab go to the primary display option and try playing with the options there.
m
l
February 27, 2010 9:36:50 PM

Mousemonkey said:
In the BIOS under the 'Chipset' tab go to the primary display option and try playing with the options there.

Okay, solved the problem. After messing with the settings in the display options of the BIOS I found out that I had to disable UMA on the motherboard for it to allow the PCI card to be recognized. Thanks for all of your help guys, I really appreciate it.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 9:38:58 PM

Glad to hear it's sorted mate.
m
l
!