Nvidia control panel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hello,
I just installed the latest drivers for my evga 9800gt thru Windows Update. Now all of my games (except Need for Speed Shift demo) stop working about 30sec into the game. Went to Devise Manager and rolled back the drivers and solved the game problem. BUT now I can’t open the Nvidia Control Panel! When I try to open the Nvidia Control panel I get this error. “The Nvidia display panel extension cannot be created.
Possible reasons include:
Version mismatch. Reinstalling display drivers may solve the problem.”
SOOOO, I downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia website and received an error: “Error Code: -5005 : 0x80070002 has occurred while running the setup. Close other applications and try again.” I rebooted my computer and tried again but still the same error. I then tried to download the same driver from evga’s website but had the same results.
Next, I downloaded driver sweeper and swept all of my Nvidia drivers away, rebooted and tried again to install the driver but still had the same error.
Finally, I did a system restore and got the old driver reinstalled. But still received the same error when trying to open the Nvidia control panel. The driver that was giving me the problem is v.196.21.
I don’t care if I have the old driver I just want to have my games running smoothly and Nvidia Control Panel working correctly.

Solution
Never let windows install hardware drivers. OS updates, fine, drivers no.

This accounts for about 40% of the "requests for help" I get.

ID Windoze Update signals a new driver available, make a note of it, go to the manufacturer's web site and get it there.
Never let windows install hardware drivers. OS updates, fine, drivers no.

This accounts for about 40% of the "requests for help" I get.

ID Windoze Update signals a new driver available, make a note of it, go to the manufacturer's web site and get it there.

Solution

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Ok, the download downloaded but gave me the same error "“Error Code: -5005 : 0x80070002 has occurred while running the setup. Close other applications and try again.” would like to get fixed asap. Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.