Vsync and 5870 help!

G

Hi i have being having problems with my ATI 5870, when i play games such as w@w and mw2 i get faint horizontal lines across my screen. From what i have read i think maybe its tearing but not sure as i know little about these things. I own the xfx xxx edition 5870 and before i was getting random crashes and my screen would turn grey so i have under clocked the card to stock speeds and so far so good. But with this new problem i read that enabling vsync as always on solves it. So i downloaded ATI tray tool and enabled it through that as i don't know how to set it in the catalyst control centre. Anyway know when i try load up any game it encounters an error so i cant play or even test to see if this has solved it. Can someone please help with this, thanks.

G

I have recently updated the drivers to 10.2 which i believe is the latest. This happens on all the call of duty games, cod4, w@w and mw2. I also noticed it whilst playing the beta for BFBC2, so yes basically all the games i play.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
are these horizontal lines actually solid (like a greay line) or does it look as though the image has moved slightly to one side, and the tear climbs up the image?

the former would be a hardware problem, and you would need to RMA your card. the latter is screen tearing. enabling vSync should help (this can be done in game for almost every game out there). you can also try lowering the refresh rate of your monitor.

G

It looks like the image has moved and the the tear does climb up, it is quite faint but noticeable. I have enabled vsync to be always on using ATI tray tool but since doing that no game will start up and my refresh rate is 60hz at the moment.

G

ok i uninstalled ATI tray tool and enabled vsync within the game and it has solved the problem thanks, i appreciate it. But i dont understand why i have to do this as i have a recent and good monitor plus a top of the range graphics card. Infact my entire pc is brand new so i dont see why this problem has occured.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
ok i uninstalled ATI tray tool and enabled vsync within the game and it has solved the problem thanks, i appreciate it. But i dont understand why i have to do this as i have a recent and good monitor plus a top of the range graphics card. Infact my entire pc is brand new so i dont see why this problem has occured.

its nothing to do with how good your hardware is. screen tearing simply happens sometimes. glad i could help though.

You can force VSync in CCC. Go to 3D > all options.

Also, screen tearing is a symptom all systems can experience if the frames the card is spitting out don't match a multiple of the monitor refresh rate.