$1428.00 USD System all-inclusive

karm100fists

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 3/15/2010
BUDGET RANGE: $1428.00 USD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
1. MTGO
2. HTPC (no Blu-ray, but upconverting DVDs would be cool)
3. iTunes (having ample hard drive space is a plus.
4. Office work (office, acrobat)
5. Gaming (Friend would like to have the option of playing games, high settings are not essential)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Pretty much need everything

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg (Monitor can come from elsewhere ie. Dell)
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Monitor: Minimum of 32" LCDTV with speakers. Prefer a name brand like Sharp Aquos. This computer will double as a TV. 1080p is essential.
CPU: Intel
GPU: Ati
Motherboard: ASUS
Cables: 2 HDMI cables
Surge Protector: Cyberpower 850
Keyboard and Mouse Combo: Gigabyte GK-KM7500

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I am not attached to the components that I selected above. They just seem to be the cheapest highly rated options available on Newegg. If you can reccomend any better options then please do!

Case: Smaller is better. No windows or bright lights as this will go in the living room. Black. Should match the TV if possible
PSU: Less noise would be better

OS, Keyboard & Mouse, Surge Protector, and HDMI cables add up to $177.95.
A 32" 1080p LCD TV will cost at least $500.
Probably about $70 for tax and shipping
That leaves us with around $750 to build the PC.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Combos are good too!

Solution
Really, the one I posted is much better. You get a USB 3/SATA III board that's on AMD's current and future socket. That means the board will be current for a few years. The LGA1156 socket is not Intel's main socket. You won't see anything more powerful to upgrade to later.

The RAM I selected is also a lot faster than the Ripjaws in the combo. The PSU in my build is high quality, while their is medium to low quality. The HDD they have is big, but it's also slow. The 7200.11 series is also notorious for firmware that causes the drives to become bricks. Their case is also not the highest quality.

You would also have to take a huge drop in the GPU, which isn't advisible for any gaming. If your friend wanted to start playing...

karm100fists

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply MadAdmiral. How does that stack up against this combo.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55-M LGA
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 2.66 Quad Core
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 2 x 2GB 1600 DDR3
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V
Case: NZXT LEXA S LEXS - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5T

Which I can get for $605.98 ($540.98 after rebate)

GPU: HD 5770 $155

So that amounts to $957.40 (after rebates) for all of the peripherals, the computer, and everything without the monitor. Hmm... that only leaves $405.60 for the monitor. What if I got an HD 4650 for $59.99 instead? Then he could always upgrade later if there was anything that the computer wouldn't do that he needed it to.

Really, the one I posted is much better. You get a USB 3/SATA III board that's on AMD's current and future socket. That means the board will be current for a few years. The LGA1156 socket is not Intel's main socket. You won't see anything more powerful to upgrade to later.

The RAM I selected is also a lot faster than the Ripjaws in the combo. The PSU in my build is high quality, while their is medium to low quality. The HDD they have is big, but it's also slow. The 7200.11 series is also notorious for firmware that causes the drives to become bricks. Their case is also not the highest quality.

You would also have to take a huge drop in the GPU, which isn't advisible for any gaming. If your friend wanted to start playing games, he would have to get a new card right away.

Solution

karm100fists

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
OK. I will go ahead and go with the one that you have constructed. Thank you.

If anyone has any comments on peripherals or alternate builds that provide more for less or whatever please feel free to post.

I'm thinking about buying a 32" Vizio from Sears for $399.00 as soon as they come in stock. If anyone has other reccomendations about getting a TV and using it as a monitor please advise me. I use a 32" Sharp Aquos with my PC running at 1920x1080 off of an HD 4850 and I love it.

Thanks again.