kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I received my MB yesterday, and I was reading the manual. I noticed there is 3 slot on the MB to plug Case fans on it.

1. What are these slot use for? I guess it is to control the fan speed to adjust depending on the heat?
2. What if I want to buy a 4th case fan, How can I deal with the fact I can only plug 3 on the board?

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

well you will more than likely run into the same issue i found you wont be able to use them as most fans now come with 4pin molex conector not the old 3 pin. Unless ofc you want to use adaptors cloging up your case with more wires. A better question may have been why do they still put them on the mobo.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
no your not forced to use them i have 4 on my XFX 790i ultra and i dont use one. but saying that all my fans have seperate 3 stage speed settings.

Only one you are pretty much forced to use is the CPU fan controller (the MOBO will give you an error if nothing is hooked up to it usually - though you can get around it if needed) - other that it is optional and will not effect anything (other than as stated for controlling fan speed.)

lcp1109

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
1- they can give power to the fans, I have 140mm fans getting power only from them. They allow you to control fan speed from your OS with specific programs.

Depending on the way you want to manage cables inside the case you can use them or not.

Latest posts