No voltage adjustment in bios and bsod

bunkachunk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hi, I just put together a new build and have a lot of problems. first my build, windows 7 32bit asus m4a79xtd evo amd athlon 11 x4 635 propus 2.9mhz. g.skill 1gb x3, 1333/10666 tri channel memory kingwin abt-730w ps sapphire 5770 vapor x ddr5 1mb western digital caviar black wd5001aals 500gb light-on 24x cd/dvd. temps are 32c for cpu max 45c, motherboard is 38c. I have been getting random bsod. event logs show that at lest 12 services are crashing at once. windows explorer stops running, along w/ other windows services. no problems at all when gaming. I have re-installed os. ran memtest for 8 hours, no problems, ran prim 95 and within 20 seconds bsod. have to power down the pc, or else the pc won't load everything right. I took out two sticks of memory and ran memtest again on each one, no problems. put all three back in and re-ran memtest for 8 hours no problems since. I called amd and they said might be memory, and run prim 95 with just one stick in all the memory slots on mobo, all three sticks passed. the memory is on asus vender's list. asus tec. said that you can't run tri channel memory in a dual channel board. I have since removed one stick, and running w/ two gigs memory. I flashed to the newest bios and cannot make any voltage adjustments in bios. I have full access to all oth features in the bios. I am using manual to overclock so I can get the voltage adj. but nothing happens w/ I push enter. since taking out the one stick of memory system seams to be running like it should be. ran prim95 for 8 hrs. w/ no problems last night. So after all that, my question is why cant I make voltage adj. in the bios, and what is causing the bsod? bad board? bad cpu? amd is going to replace the cpu, I have the rma #, but do not want to send it back until I'm sure thats the problem. asus tec, told me that I the voltage adj,. should be working and you can't run tri channel memory in a dual channel board, had no other info for me, asus support is useless! after bsod and re-booting pc seams to run fine for a day or two, then it starts all over again.

Solution
That kingwin power supply could be your problem. Check the 12v rails; I wouldn't use less than 22 amps on each 12v rail. Corsair has over 30 amps on most of it's ps and up to 60 on some. Also your ps or video card could be overheating.
That kingwin power supply could be your problem. Check the 12v rails; I wouldn't use less than 22 amps on each 12v rail. Corsair has over 30 amps on most of it's ps and up to 60 on some. Also your ps or video card could be overheating.

Solution

jimmyzline

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

^1 o1die

Agreed. Your psu may not be up to the job here.

bunkachunk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010

Thanks oldie, I had this psu in my old build and had no problems. I just chaged out the mobo, memory, and psu. I think my problem was the third stick of memory. The memory was on asus vender's list and is tri. channel memory. I have been trying to get the pc to crash, but very stable now. memtest, prim95, both came back with no errors. Could that one extra stick have caused all problems? what are the side affects of running tipple. channel memory in a dual. channel mobo? Thanks agin, and I probably will change out the psu for the corrsair 750w. looks like a good psu. newegg $109.99