Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Build a great gaming pc under $1200 today march-2010

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 11, 2010 2:27:36 PM

Hello

I know that all the guru's hang around here and I loved this site for years but I never signed up for some reason.
well here I am!

I want to ask the BEST GURU's if I can find help to build an efficient updated COMPATIBLE system under a budget for performance gaming.

BUDGET: $1200

THESE ARE THE PARTS TO FIT IN THE BUDGET
(it doesn't matter if it goes a little bit up)

MOTHERBOARD (DDR3, ATI CROSSFIRE, INTEL SOCKET)
CPU
CPU FAN
VIDEOCARD (ATI crossfire only, but 1 for now)
RAM (FAST BUT RELIABLE)
SOUND (FOR 5.1-7.1 AND OPTICAL)
NETWORK ? (IM NOT SURE IF I NEED THIS FOR MULTIPLAYER FPS)

I appreciate everyone's knowledge and input into this.



=============================================
MORE DETAILS BOUT MY EXPERIENCES (not really related to this thread but you can read if you want to)

I've been bulding pc for 8 years and the last 2 systems I had, had major issues.
always AMD and NVIDIA.
I noticed that ATI and INTEL are doing much better and I want to SWITCH to these brands instead, and since I'm not very sure about them I'm asking for help.

the setup I have right now includes.

ANTEC TWELVE HUNDRED CASE
OCZ 700WATTS
AMD PHENOM 9850
CORSAIR RAM
NVIDIA BFG 8800GTS OC 512MB
BIOSTAR TPOWER N750 MOTHERBOARD(BEST I'VE EVER PLAYED WITH AFTER 5 OTHER BRANDS)

anyway, thanks again for your feedback and stuff!
sorry if I missed out on some rule!
March 11, 2010 2:32:35 PM

I you have other parts you're going to use to fill out the build, we need to know what they are. I could easily suggest a GPU that doesn't fit in your case or over powers your PSU...

I'm assuming this is all you need (sound cards and network cards are not needed):

CPU: i5-750 $200
Mobo: Gigabtye GA-P55A-UD3 $135
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
GPU: HD 5970 $700
HSF (if OCing): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $29

Total: $1,179.

The board won't support Crossfire (only 1 PCIe 2.0 slot), but the HD 5970 should never need to be Crossfired. By the time it's too slow for gaming, it would be a bad idea to add a second one instead of just replacing it.
March 11, 2010 2:35:17 PM

oh thanks!!!!
yeah I realized I missed some things and I tried to edit but it didn't let me.

that's good..although I don't like gigabyte much after playing with biostar. but if it doesn't have many problems I'll go for it.
I'm saying cuz I had 3 gigabyte mobos and I had problems with all of em.

how can I edit and have it work?
i just signed up, maybe I don't have the rights...to..>_>...edit my own thread?
Related resources
March 11, 2010 2:38:54 PM

No idea on the editing. It seems to be a common problem though...

As for the Gigabyte vs. Biostar, Biostar is literally the bottom of the barrel of motherboard brands. It's like comparing RC Cola to Coke, it loses in everything but price. The only real comparision for quality and features would be Gigabyte and Asus. It's just for this build, Gigabyte has the edge.
March 11, 2010 2:43:44 PM

MadAdmiral said:
No idea on the editing. It seems to be a common problem though...

As for the Gigabyte vs. Biostar, Biostar is literally the bottom of the barrel of motherboard brands. It's like comparing RC Cola to Coke, it loses in everything but price. The only real comparision for quality and features would be Gigabyte and Asus. It's just for this build, Gigabyte has the edge.


ah alright. I think I just figured out the problem. I'm gonna try again after this reply.

ha, thats funny...well, I know there's like a contest of popularity and ***, but I'm serious.
I had more success with biostar than with gigabyte, but alright. I believe your words.

GO RC COLA!
:p 

March 11, 2010 2:48:40 PM

there! fixed!
March 11, 2010 2:55:48 PM

It would be helpful to list the exact case and PSU. I don't know of any brand of PSUs that's "OC", and if you meant "OCZ", I don't know of any 750W unit they make.

As for the case, Antec has many, many cases, and several of their "big" ones would have trouble fitting the 5970...
March 11, 2010 2:55:59 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I you have other parts you're going to use to fill out the build, we need to know what they are. I could easily suggest a GPU that doesn't fit in your case or over powers your PSU...

I'm assuming this is all you need (sound cards and network cards are not needed):

CPU: i5-750 $200
Mobo: Gigabtye GA-P55A-UD3 $135
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
GPU: HD 5970 $700
HSF (if OCing): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $29

Total: $1,179.

The board won't support Crossfire (only 1 PCIe 2.0 slot), but the HD 5970 should never need to be Crossfired. By the time it's too slow for gaming, it would be a bad idea to add a second one instead of just replacing it.




hey, i updated my info. all the things you asked.

I checked what you recommended and the motherboard is not built for SLI or XFIRE so I don't think it's such a great choice of motherboards :p 
the ram is DDR3 instead of DDR5.
I'm thinking, that it might not be related, but , if the VCARD IS DDR5, shouldn't the mobo's ram be DDR5 as well?
I think it makes no difference, plus DDR5 is new and very expensive.
would it really be worth it anyway?
March 11, 2010 2:59:25 PM

First, it's not Crossfire or SLI because it only has 1 PCIe slot (explained below). That doesn't mean it's a bad board. It's high quality, and features USB 3/SATA III ports.

Second, there is no such thing as DDR3 RAM. At least not yet, and not in the forseeable future. The DDR5 is for GPUs, which doesn't affect anything else.

Third, DDR3 is current standard for RAM. If you get anything else besides DDR3, it will not work with current motherboards and if you picked a DDR2 board, you're stuck with an obsolete set of memory.
March 11, 2010 3:08:59 PM

MadAdmiral said:
It would be helpful to list the exact case and PSU. I don't know of any brand of PSUs that's "OC", and if you meant "OCZ", I don't know of any 750W unit they make.

As for the case, Antec has many, many cases, and several of their "big" ones would have trouble fitting the 5970...



yeah, OCZ and it's 700w. my bad

antec twelve hundred is my case. I'm editing again :p 
March 11, 2010 3:14:27 PM

MadAdmiral said:
First, it's not Crossfire or SLI because it only has 1 PCIe slot (explained below). That doesn't mean it's a bad board. It's high quality, and features USB 3/SATA III ports.

Second, there is no such thing as DDR3 RAM. At least not yet, and not in the forseeable future. The DDR5 is for GPUs, which doesn't affect anything else.

Third, DDR3 is current standard for RAM. If you get anything else besides DDR3, it will not work with current motherboards and if you picked a DDR2 board, you're stuck with an obsolete set of memory.



1st) ah alright.
well, I'm looking to buy a 2nd card later on to make it all better, so it needs to be Crossfire =)

2nd) mm ok. I mean't something like.
crap, i can't find the motherboard I saw the other day.
it was a brand new motherboard for i7 processor, 3-way DDR5 ram, crossfire and a lot more interesting stuff.

3rd) alright, then DDR3 on the motherboard I'm looking for.
March 11, 2010 3:14:43 PM

It's going to be cutting it close on the PSU for the 5970. The power requirement is "650W PSU with a 75W 6-pin and 125W 8-pin connector". You might want to step down to the HD 5870 just to be safe.
March 11, 2010 3:17:40 PM

makugx said:
1st) ah alright.
well, I'm looking to buy a 2nd card later on to make it all better, so it needs to be Crossfire =)

2nd) mm ok. I mean't something like.
crap, i can't find the motherboard I saw the other day.
it was a brand new motherboard for i7 processor, 3-way DDR5 ram, crossfire and a lot more interesting stuff.

3rd) alright, then DDR3 on the motherboard I'm looking for.


2.) I guarantee that's not what it said. DDR5 doesn't exist.

As for Crossfire, if you got the 5970, you would never need a second card. The card is so massive overkill for everything that by the time you needed to add another one to maintain performance, technology would have left it in the dust. You would need the features of the newer cards to stay relevant. That's why I didn't include a Crossfire board.

The 5970 is soemthing that's brand new: a video card that is overkill no matter what you're doing. It's never existed before...
March 11, 2010 3:20:00 PM

MadAdmiral said:
It's going to be cutting it close on the PSU for the 5970. The power requirement is "650W PSU with a 75W 6-pin and 125W 8-pin connector". You might want to step down to the HD 5870 just to be safe.


IN that case I can get a 1000W PSU.
I don't want to step down on the vcard :p  i like that shiny one.
but I wonder if it makes so much difference in comparison to the 58xx series. to pay the $200-300 extra
March 11, 2010 3:22:50 PM

MadAdmiral said:
2.) I guarantee that's not what it said. DDR5 doesn't exist.

As for Crossfire, if you got the 5970, you would never need a second card. The card is so massive overkill for everything that by the time you needed to add another one to maintain performance, technology would have left it in the dust. You would need the features of the newer cards to stay relevant. That's why I didn't include a Crossfire board.

The 5970 is soemthing that's brand new: a video card that is overkill no matter what you're doing. It's never existed before...



haven't we all being saying "a video card that is overkill no matter what you're doing. It's never existed before..."
for a while now?

are you implying it makes a couple of steps jump?

cuz if so, then you're making sense with all you chose.. :p 

SAPPHIRE 100280OCSR Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Dual GPU Onboard
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i pointed it up
GDDR5
March 11, 2010 3:26:04 PM

You don't need a 1kW PSU. At most, you'd need a quality 850W PSU. Quality being Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, SeaSonic, PC Power & Cooling or OCZ's Z Series (and only their Z Series). A 1KW PSU would be enough to power 3 HD 5970s, 6 HD 5870s, 7 HD 5850s or 8 of anything else.

The difference is that the 5970 is two 5870 GPUs on one card, only with the cores downclocked slightly. That means that it's really $800 worth of processing power for only $700.

The 5870 isn't really a step down right now. It can play every game at maximum details at 1920x1080 resolutions, and many games using Eyefinity (using 3 to 6 monitors as a single screen). It's just that unlike the 5970, in about four years, you may have to Crossfire the 5870 to maintain the highest level of performance.

As for the complete overkill statement, it used to be that the after saying something like that, you had to add "except Crysis" or "accept this setting". The 5970 (and 5870 somewhat) does not require the exclusions to be added. It is literally overkill for anything and everything. ATI actually handicapped the card before releasing it. They downclocked the dual GPU cores...

Yes, that says DDR5, but it's not true DDR5 RAM. The RAM you were refering to is the actual sticks of memory you plug into the board.
March 11, 2010 3:31:57 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You don't need a 1kW PSU. At most, you'd need a quality 850W PSU. Quality being Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, SeaSonic, PC Power & Cooling or OCZ's Z Series (and only their Z Series). A 1KW PSU would be enough to power 3 HD 5970s, 6 HD 5870s, 7 HD 5850s or 8 of anything else.

The difference is that the 5970 is two 5870 GPUs on one card, only with the cores downclocked slightly. That means that it's really $800 worth of processing power for only $700.

The 5870 isn't really a step down right now. It can play every game at maximum details at 1920x1080 resolutions, and many games using Eyefinity (using 3 to 6 monitors as a single screen). It's just that unlike the 5970, in about four years, you may have to Crossfire the 5870 to maintain the highest level of performance.


LOL
4 YEARS?
come on man, you know that technology is going fast quickly.
I'd say 3 at most.
but, you're right there with what I'm thinking.

I was thinking of getting a crossfire mobo to put another 5970 soon and..well, be twice as overkill :p 

but eventually when graphic tech goes up, my 2nd 5970 would make up for it.
u see? u see?
:D 
March 11, 2010 3:37:10 PM

It's seriously four years. That's how powerful the new GPUs are...

Except games aren't going to get a whole lot more demanding. They've pretty much maxed out the graphics as it is. The current revolution is Eyefinity, which is really just a massive resolution increase. A single 5970 can already handle Eyefinity. And that's assuming you have the $600 or so to shell out for three 1920x1080 monitors or $1,200 for six monitors.

The next revolution will likely be 3D gaming, but that's not going to be around for a long, long time. And when it happens, you'll need a different video card (and monitor). Crossfiring a 5970 won't give you the additional functionality you'd need. Thus, you will not need to Crossfire the 5970.
March 11, 2010 3:48:58 PM

MadAdmiral said:
It's seriously four years. That's how powerful the new GPUs are...

Except games aren't going to get a whole lot more demanding. They've pretty much maxed out the graphics as it is. The current revolution is Eyefinity, which is really just a massive resolution increase. A single 5970 can already handle Eyefinity. And that's assuming you have the $600 or so to shell out for three 1920x1080 monitors or $1,200 for six monitors.

The next revolution will likely be 3D gaming, but that's not going to be around for a long, long time. And when it happens, you'll need a different video card (and monitor). Crossfiring a 5970 won't give you the additional functionality you'd need. Thus, you will not need to Crossfire the 5970.



GOOD INFO!!

alright, I'm excited!

except that newegg doesn't have that card anymore.
it says they're gonna refill tomorrow, I think I'm just gonna buy that stuff.

how do you the link that you did before where you wrote
GPU: HD 5970 $700 ?

I'm thinking about these PSU, but it says something about the rails I dunno whats that about.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 11, 2010 4:34:11 PM

You type [ url =] Name [ / url]. No spaces.

That's a good unit, but it's a little pricey. This Corsair 850W would be better. Or since you've already got the Antec 1200, Antec CP-850. I really don't like recommending this Antec one because it can only be used in three of Antec's cases, but it's cheap enough to fit the budget or at least not destroy it...

The 12V rails are what actually supplies the power. You want a couple of them, and you want the majority of the power to come from the rails.
March 11, 2010 4:39:22 PM

oh, thanks for that tip :D 

lol it's 10 bucks difference with the one I chose.
but you're right, that one's been voted BEST PSU so, hell yeah I'm going with the CORSAIR one.
they do great stuff!

so if money was not a problem ($10), between the corsair you chose and the antec I chose, which one would you get?

Hey I wanna start thanking you for all the information and help!
very very helpful!
*clap clap clap! ^_^
March 11, 2010 4:43:53 PM

Depends. If electricity is very, very expensive where you are, the slightly more efficient Antec would be better as it would save you a bit on the electric bill over time. If electricity is cheap, or you don't have to pay it, the Corsair would save you $20 now.
March 11, 2010 4:51:27 PM

i am really paying for the electricity yes, but I dunno how expensive it will be.

you're saying that the Antec is better?
will it make that much difference?


March 11, 2010 4:54:37 PM

I'm saying the Antec is more efficient. "Better" is more releative. Corsair is slightly higher quality, and a little cheaper. However, Antec is not a poor quality brand either. No matter which one you chose, it's a good unit.
March 11, 2010 5:46:51 PM

alright sounds good.
I got all my parts setup.
I'm just hoping all that is really well compatible, cuz I'm tired of stuff having driver issues and no compatibility :p 
March 30, 2010 8:55:35 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I'm saying the Antec is more efficient. "Better" is more releative. Corsair is slightly higher quality, and a little cheaper. However, Antec is not a poor quality brand either. No matter which one you chose, it's a good unit.



hey I know its a bit late but I just wanted to say thank you very much for your help and advice.
and this is what I actually bought.
I know its a TAD different from what you originally told me, but it's based on what you told me.


Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Magnetic Fluid Dynamic LED Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink Rev.1 with ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16835154011
$62.99

Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM
Item #: N82E16827118032
$31.99

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817151087
$179.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231281
$134.99

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115215
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$199.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116762
$174.99
1
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131400

HIS H597F2GDGC Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Dual ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16814161335

so far its great. I'm adapting to it still. I haven't received the HIS 5970 yet, but I think I am in the next couple days.
!