Currently own a Dell 4600 need advice on new build

bryantp

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:Within the next two weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $500-$600 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Media (web, photoshop, video, audio), Office/Internet, Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Monitor(two), Mouse, Speakers, DVD burner, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No particular website in mind, newegg, geeks, tiger are all fine.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES:

OVERCLOCKING: Not sure Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not sure

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 (Samsung 220wm)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is not my first time building a computer, however, that was several years ago. My current desktop is a Dell 4600 so just about everything will be an improvement. I'm not really up to date on current parts, and would like some help picking them out. The only games I ever play on the PC are Madden, Wolfenstein ET, and Half-life TF2(steam). However, that's probably 2-4 hours a week at most. I'd like the option to grow going forward so for example a better board is more important (to increase CPU, mem, run crossfire/sli) than a HOT new video card(as you can see from games). I'd prefer to stay less than $500 than over $600.

I'd be willing to go this much if this was decent build? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227218 just not sure if the card will support two monitors.

Thanks for your assistance

Solution
It's a good future proofing build. The board has USB 3/SATA III ports, so once that tech comes into the mainstream, you can use it. It also has Crossfire support, and a big enough PSU to add a second card. The card supports DirectX 11, which isn't that important for non-heavy gamers, unless that one game you want to play uses it.

You dont' really need anything else. If you want to overclock, you'll need to pick up a good HSF, but you don't need that until you decide to start doing it.

bryantp

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
No it's not a great build. And no it won't support two monitors.

The problem with trying to get a $500 build is that if you need the OS, you're really building a $400 tower, which is next to impossible, much less with trying to get dual monitor support. The following is literally the cheapest build I can give you that supports two monitors and would still be great:

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $160 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
GPU: HD 5750 $120
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Neo Eco 520W $120

Total: $570.

EDIT: Didn't read the full first post, just kind of skimmed it. That's about the best you can get on a low budget. If you don't want to be able to Crossfire, switch the mobo and PSU to the ones above.

G

Hey bryantp!

It seems you don't need:

Operating System
CD/DVD Burner

$500-$600 is the budget, let's get crackin!

Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 ($50)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 435 @ 2.9 GHz ($75)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD (2x Award Winner) ($105 ($10 Mail-In Rebate!))
Memory: A-DATA 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz ($95 with promo code EMCYPYS54!
Hard Drive: 500GB Western Digital ($55)
Power Supply: 600W OCZ StealthXStream (Quiet) ($50 ($10 Mail-In Rebate!))
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850 ($95)

Grand Total (After Shipping + Taxes): $561.68

Grand Total (After Mail-In Rebates): $541.68

I think this is the best I could do! :D You can downgrade to an Athlon II X2 (Dual Core) to shave off maybe $20 from the price if you prefer! If you want 2 Monitor Support, get an ATI Radeon HD 5750 or higher +$50

Also, I got you the best Motherboard I could, especially for AMD Chips. Supports major overclocked RAM, runs smooth, quiet, expandable, etc. Don't worry about your Video Card either. It's the best price-performance card there is I believe. Can still hang with the big guys and is very easy on the wallet!

Need anything else bryantp?

Guess I should have actually read that instead of skimming...

Necromentia's build isn't that great. First, it uses a lower quality PSU, which can be the death of a system. Second, it's got an older board in it. Not that it's a bad one, it's just not very current. Third, the RAM isn't exactly high quality or fast. Fourth, it's got a slow HDD. Fifth (and finally), it's got a lower performing older card.

It would have been excellent a year ago though..

bryantp

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I appreciate the posts and believe Necromentia was probably trying to stay in my "budget". Seems to get more "future-proof" my budget just simply has to increase.

MadAdmiral, thanks for pointing out those things. And yes I would prefer not to buy "older" stuff per say. Even if that means more, which it looks like, I'd rather spend more on MB that allows for growth (CPU/GPU/RAM) now and just build those up going forward.

MadAdmiral (or anyone offering suggestions) you had mentioned the first "build" as being a better one (that was borrowed from one of your post by the way). Would that be sufficient in what I hold important -upgrading in the future. I understand that everything has a ceiling of course. Also, would I need anything else? CPU Cooler, etc.?

It's a good future proofing build. The board has USB 3/SATA III ports, so once that tech comes into the mainstream, you can use it. It also has Crossfire support, and a big enough PSU to add a second card. The card supports DirectX 11, which isn't that important for non-heavy gamers, unless that one game you want to play uses it.

You dont' really need anything else. If you want to overclock, you'll need to pick up a good HSF, but you don't need that until you decide to start doing it.

Solution