[New System Build] Component Comparison

rorktor1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I've been attempting to figure out what I need and don't need in terms of a new system build. I am currently in a E6600 (stock clock) setup with a GTX 260 running Windows 7 64-Bit. I primarily use my PC for gaming and normal everyday useage. I play games like BF2: BC2, L4D2, WoW, etc.

My main concern is overkill. I currently play on a native 1680 x 1050 LCD and occasionally switch over to my 1080p HDTV (the input lag is noticeable enough to drive me crazy, hence the occasional useage). My current rig experiences framerate drops in almost everything I play at native resolutions with details cranked. I'd like for the new build to be future proof for a planned purchase of a new 1080p LCD.

I'm interested in designing the new system around the i5-750 or i7-920. I understand the dual and triple channel difference and that the i7 would be best suited for a SLI or Crossfire setup.

Is a new video card necessary to achieve solid framerates at the resolutions mentioned above or will the GTX 260 suffice? Should I be looking into a Crossfire setup? 2 x 5770's for instance?

Will I notice a significant improvement in processor performance when moving from the E6600 to the i5 or i7? According to the Tomshardware CPU tier chart they released a few months ago I should. I think my situation would have been deemed a 4 or 5 tier jump. I can't quite remember the terminology or chart structure right now though. :p

The only other confusion I have is the PCI express lane widths and compatibility with certain MBs and processors. x8 x16 ??

Any advice for would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again! :)

rorktor1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hmm, ok. After the research I did I came to that same conclusion as well. I'm running on a pair of 5 or 6 year old raptors in RAID 0 and some relatively cheap DDR2. I'm planning on getting a 120GB SSD system and gaming drive. What other issues am I not covering? Too many to think about? lol :)

That PSU isn't bad, but there are better out there. HardwareSecrets tested one, and the protections weren't working, so it burned when overloaded. It also wasn't quite as efficient as it should have been to be 80+. While you don't "have" to replace it if you run one video card, if you're considering Crossfire (or SLI) or just want something better, check out Antec Truepower New, Corsair HX, or Seasonic X.

TRENDING THREADS