SSd Performing at Half Speed--Please Help

nweaver11

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hello all...first time posting, I hope this isn't a very unusualy problem. I installed a Force 3 180GB SSD in my HP p6754y with an AMD Phenom 960T processor. It has a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX motherboard and I upgraded the power supply to 500W for better performance from the machine and graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 5550).

I have the BIOS set to ACHI, I have the latest firmware and defragmenting is turned off. However when running ATTO, my bench scores don't crack 300MB/S. What is going on? I have definitely noticed a performance improvement since upgrading, but getting half of what I should really concerns me. Is there a way to remedy this? Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

Thank you for the help.

nweaver11

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
That stinks...I thought having ACHI was reason enough. So, I am assuming I would need a to get a new mothboard. As someone with some experience (I got the graphics card, SSD, power supply and processor hooked up) am I getting into something too involved replacing the motherboard? I am not horrible at doing hardware replacement, but I am by no means an expert. And as far as motherboards go, any suggestions? I'd like to not spend too much money since I'm not a gamer, but I do want my hard drive performing at it's best.

nweaver11

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Awesome...this will be my first time replacing a motherboard. Is this something I am better off having done professionally? Is there a good site someone can recommend that will give me the info I need to know? Thank you again. Just knowing it is compatible is a huge relief.

G

The OS that comes with your hp computer is OEM and won't work with a new motherboard. What do you need to know about replacing a motherboard?

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Simply put: if you don't know how to replace a mobo and have never tried, wisdom dictates that you should get a qualified individual to do it. Even as I was going through college for Computer System Technician, I still made mistakes installing mobo's (fan connectors, jumpers, RAM timings, RAM voltage,... anything BIOS can undo your work). I even had a motherboard mounting screw that was PREVENTING my mobo from receiving power(improper grounding). I think i've made my point. :)

thux

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Replacing a Motherboard is not very difficult, but it is important that you do it right.
making sure the stand-offs are in the right place, making sure everything gets plugged back in, seating the CPU correctly, just things like that.

Another thing that you need to consider is that if you get a new motherboard, you also need a new copy of windows, which is usually about $100 for home premiun.

nweaver11

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone. It is greatly appreciated. I am going to give the SATA III card a try before replacing the whole board. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to try and replace it myself. Hopefully I won't be posting with anything but good news.

Sorry, but a SATA III card won't help with your motherboard.

You have only 1 PCIe x16 slot, which I assumed is being used by your video card.
The 3 remaining PCIe slots are x1 (1 lane).

In my opinion, buying a SATA III card to place in a PCIe x1 slot is a waste of money.
You would need to have at least an PCIe x4 or PCIe x8 slot.

Upgrade to the motherboard you referenced in post #4.

Here's the link to the spec sheet for your motherboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02560084