Sign in with
Your question

Corsair h100i some questions

Last response: in Overclocking
January 11, 2013 4:32:58 PM

Hi,

I get the corsair h100i cpu cooling, truth is I want to avoid this and ust use hyper 212 Plus because I won't do much overclocking but the shop convince me because he offer me to pay the h100i slowly.

Anyway, for h100i, what is the best config, push (pushing hot air coming frm the case then through the radiator ) or pull (pulling air from radiator then exhaust it to the top. ? My case is CM storm stryker, so I realy don't think I can put a push/pull config inside the case. Also, is the thermal compound that comes from h100i is good? is it ok I won't replace it?

and since I have the h100i, I maybe overclocked my i5 3570k, anyone know's a good step by step tutorial for overclocking i5 3570k?
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 9:06:45 PM

watercooling sticky, located at the top of the forum section(or in my sig) , scroll down to closed loop cooler subsection -> explains how to orient your cooler.

Honestly though, you should return it to the shop and ask him to give you the Hyper 212 instead, for the same price you'll get a entry level watercooling kit to fiddle around with.
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 10:02:52 PM

If you stay with the H100 don't replace the thermal paste, the factory application is perfect and it's good a quailty paste. Those who have... regret it. And if you upgrade you CPU in the future; read the latest thermal paste reviews. Don't ask on here, you'll just recommended an old favorite that scores mediocre against the newer pastes. And stay away from liquid metals, they trasfer heat awesome but are just too corrosive.

The IHS removal and TIM replacement on Ivy Bridge may be too extreme for most, but the process and results are interesting. Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4
Related resources
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 10:09:53 PM

The TIM(thermal interface material) on the Hxx units are shin etsu, however alot of people opt for swapping it out for their own consciences' sake. Might want to keep a tube of TIM handy though.

+ 1 to staying away from liquid metal, they damage the IHS when you'll want to remove it to swap it out for another TIM.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 4:44:11 AM

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overcloc...

OK there is a guide, its not really for beginners, so it boils down to...

1. Disable all power saving adn turbo boost features and pick a load calibration, 1 being very stiff and one voltage constantly, 2 being a little more relax(easier to achieve stability), i prefer level 2.
2. Set voltage to fixed at first and drop it to 0.9v.
3. Boot into windows and run prime 95 or similar stresstest to test for stability for atleast half an hour. This will give you an idea of how sensitive your specific CPU is to voltage change.
4. Increase your voltage to 1.2v and multiplyer to 4.2GHz. Test thoroughly for an hour. Keep a close eye on temps with real temp or HWmonitor.

If you can, return the H100i, you are just wasting your money with that.

EDIT : LINK FIXED
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 8:23:02 AM

^ your link appears broken :) 
January 12, 2013 8:30:57 AM

the H100 works well with just "push" you'll prolly see 7-8c difference over the 212, just leave the paste. Also the H100 has a very easy mounting / removal system @ the CPU block
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 8:31:03 AM

Pulling air from the top like this, (From top to bottom), Fans, Case, Radiator, is the best as it allows you to easily cleans dust that forms in the radiator, where as if you had push, you would have to remove the fans off the radiator and then remove the dust.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 8:34:33 AM

Lutfij said:
^ your link appears broken :) 

Thanks
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 8:39:33 AM

welcome
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 2:37:54 PM

I really like the one piece closed loop liquid coolers. The H100 is a bit big, my fav is the H80 or older 70. Installation is very clean and cosmetically look very nice. Some of the big air coolers are really ugly(the 212 is nice thou) and block the motherboard, making cleaning difficult. As JJ1217 mentioned you have to think about cleaning. Although I prefer the push method, on the single units I do a push/pull. I also swap out the OEM fans. I'm running two Cooler Master(silent fan) 120 SI2's at full speed all the time, they are plugged into a molex(so no speed control). My computer is very quiet and my CPU runs cool, high 50's C max. However when I game my GPU fan spins up and makes noise. I'd like to get one of the new liquid GPU coolers as well.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 2:51:13 PM

wdmfiber said:
I really like the one piece closed loop liquid coolers. The H100 is a bit big, my fav is the H80 or older 70. Installation is very clean and cosmetically look very nice. Some of the big air coolers are really ugly(the 212 is nice thou) and block the motherboard, making cleaning difficult. As JJ1217 mentioned you have to think about cleaning. Although I prefer the push method, on the single units I do a push/pull. I also swap out the OEM fans. I'm running two Cooler Master(silent fan) 120 SI2's at full speed all the time, they are plugged into a molex(so no speed control). My computer is very quiet and my CPU runs cool, high 50's C max. However when I game my GPU fan spins up and makes noise. I'd like to get one of the new liquid GPU coolers as well.

Then why not consider a beginners custom loop cooler? It would work out cheaper than 2 separate closed loop coolers and you would get better performance.
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 3:04:12 PM

You could also add more parts to the equation, should you want more radspace or gpu blocks or both in the mix :)  A closed loop cooler may look nice but once you rip off the tubes, should something go wrong they won't avail you for warranty claim as you've voided warranty.

btw, I think you're talking about the kit solutions, custom would make you want to shell out more like I did due to aesthetics and functionality.
January 12, 2013 3:49:56 PM

I disagree with a couple of posters here. For one I really like the closed loop h100, it's easier to clean, looks nice, and there isn't a big huge chunk of metal in my tower.

And for a custom loop you're gonna pay a lot more to get anything decent, it's more of a headache, and more maintenance.

Though honestly if you don't plan to oc then you're probably better off getting a really cheap air cooler (better then stock still lol). Take it back and get the other one or learn to oc it's gotten pretty easy. Plenty of guides just google how to overclock (cpu name). I'm sure toms also probably has sticky in the cpu section.
January 12, 2013 5:11:49 PM

wdmfiber said:
If you stay with the H100 don't replace the thermal paste, the factory application is perfect and it's good a quailty paste. Those who have... regret it. And if you upgrade you CPU in the future; read the latest thermal paste reviews. Don't ask on here, you'll just recommended an old favorite that scores mediocre against the newer pastes. And stay away from liquid metals, they trasfer heat awesome but are just too corrosive.

The IHS removal and TIM replacement on Ivy Bridge may be too extreme for most, but the process and results are interesting. Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4

Removing IHS on my i5 3570k was to dangerous to me, got no guts to do it, unless I have an extra bucks to do it. Liquid metals you mean Liquid Metal Thermal Compounds? sorry I'm so new for this, Yes. I won't replacing my thermal paste compunt on my h100i. I won't do an SLi also coz Im gaming on a single 1080p monitor

There's one guy I've meet where I bought my parts, he always urges me to do some overlocking and hes selling he's gtx 680 palit jeatstream to me and urges me to do an SLI but although I'm so noob, I do a research also and told him that I won't be gaming higher than 1080p resolution and I'll play my games on a single 1080p monitor.

So funny how crazy he wants to sell his rig in order to buy a haswell , that does not even come out yet and he's only source on how fast intel's haswell is some leak source on the internet, he even ask the shop where I get my rig to reserve him some unit for the haswell.
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 5:51:52 PM

@ kingnoobe - a cooling kit for ~$200(more like $170 with everything included nets you load temps lower than an H100 by as far as 15 C (on idle its lower than the H100 as well). If temps are what can kill your components, by keeping it cooler you may be able to get it off your hand for a good price due to its condition or maybe better yet, it'll serve you better in the long run.

Disagree all you want, this is a forum afterall, but experience and facts trumps opinions no matter which way you look at it. The other picture frame is; please understand what watercooling is about before making remarks of a big budget getting you a decent loop. If you'd like to stick to no maintenance stick to air cooling.

*tip in overclocking;learn first, then do.
!