Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help installing a new motherboard

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 11, 2010 4:40:48 PM

Hey guys, I have a computer that im upgrading. I just purchased a new gigabyte MoBo, i5 processor and 4 gb of ddr3 ram. Im going to be switching out my old motherboard and cpu for the new ones, but still keeping the same hard drive, graphics card, power supply, and cd drive. before i do this, is there anything i should do software wise to my computer before installing the new components? or do i just go ahead and swap out the mobo and cpu for the new ones without having to do any initial prep?

More about : installing motherboard

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2010 4:43:38 PM

you gonna have to back up all the stuff you want on your hdd and format it and reinstall your OS

it also wont hurt to get the latest drivers for your new mobo
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 4:45:24 PM

ok, im going to be selling my old motherboard and cpu as well, do i have to unistall windows 7 or any other programs before getting rid of it?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 11, 2010 8:06:17 PM

ktmbro said:
ok, im going to be selling my old motherboard and cpu as well, do i have to unistall windows 7 or any other programs before getting rid of it?


eh?

Back up your data off your harddrive, as you will need to install a clean copy of windows 7 onto your harddrive in order for your mobo etc to work.

Gettin rid of what? Data isnt stored onto the motherboard or cpu. (only data stored on mobo is the bios data, which no, you dont need to get rid of, unless you have a password on the bios, you should remove that if u do, which i doubt)

After swapping your mobo, ram & cpu, you will need to make sure everything is connected properly, and boot from a windows disk, delete the partitions, create a new one, format it, install windows 7 to it. Then install all your drivers before proceeding to update windows or installing software.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 227 V Motherboard
March 11, 2010 9:29:54 PM

The easy way to do this starts w/ good planning .... which my guess is wasn't done. Had you created an OS partition when you built your old box, all you would have to do when putting it in your new computer would be to wipe C:\ by formatting it, install the new OS and drivers on C and then all your old programs and data would still be intact. Many of your programs wouldn't run as yet because they wouldn't have registry entries but simply installing them over themselves would solve that problem while keeping all your customizations and toolbars and even data links.

The alternative is this:

1. Buy a new HD and one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. Put the new HD in the new machine and install windows on it. Once all service paks, fixes, drivers upgraded and all, connect the BlacX with yoju old HD on it. Copy over everything you need.

3. Format the old HD once you sure you have it all and then use the old HD as a backup device.

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 11, 2010 9:49:36 PM

^+1...

I'm a believer when you upgrade motherboards or OS, you upgrade your hard drive to start with a completely fresh system... Just my way of doing things, which doesn't mean it is for everyone... :) 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 97 V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 3:40:51 AM

You don't HAVE to reinstall windows. It is easiest, but there is a much faster way. You said you have a p55 board, if you had a intel chipset board you should be good. You should be able to just move the drive over and boot. (assuming you were using the intel chipset as your drive controller.) If you were using AHCI or some one else's controller (Nvida, SiS, AMD, etc.) then you need to change the controller to windows standard/Intel before you shut it down.

As for removing windows I wouldn't bother. Your OS is staying with your computer, the buyer gets to load whatever OS he wants on his "new" system.
m
0
l
March 12, 2010 12:42:00 PM

4745454b said:
You don't HAVE to reinstall windows. It is easiest, but there is a much faster way. You said you have a p55 board, if you had a intel chipset board you should be good. You should be able to just move the drive over and boot. (assuming you were using the intel chipset as your drive controller.) If you were using AHCI or some one else's controller (Nvida, SiS, AMD, etc.) then you need to change the controller to windows standard/Intel before you shut it down.

As for removing windows I wouldn't bother. Your OS is staying with your computer, the buyer gets to load whatever OS he wants on his "new" system.


when changing motherboards over you need to install a fresh copy of windows, as when you originally install windows it creates a boot file which contains hardware information. As a fresh mobo is usually completely different than the older one, (especially with this been a i5 one) it most likely wont boot into windows until you wipe it.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 97 V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 1:19:24 PM

Again, thats wrong. You don't HAVE to. Changing out the harddrive driver or doing a repair install is faster. If you don't know what your doing, formatting and starting over is easier. I've done the driver change many times, never had a problem. And if you don't change chipset companies at all, you shouldn't need to. Meaning you can go from a p35/45 to a P55 without changing anything. Assuming your not using RAID or something weird.
m
0
l
March 12, 2010 1:23:58 PM

4745454b said:
Again, thats wrong. You don't HAVE to. Changing out the harddrive driver or doing a repair install is faster. If you don't know what your doing, formatting and starting over is easier. I've done the driver change many times, never had a problem. And if you don't change chipset companies at all, you shouldn't need to. Meaning you can go from a p35/45 to a P55 without changing anything. Assuming your not using RAID or something weird.

Repairing a windows installation doesnt get rid of old drivers that are now worthless, which will just cause problems. old video drivers, lan drivers, sound drivers. Some will probably work yes, but it doesnt mean you should leave it like that.
m
0
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 156 V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 1:32:11 PM

It's been my experience over the past twenty years or so, that you can reuse an old installation with a new motherboard maybe half the time. But a fresh install is better. And you need to be prepared in case you cannot.

Having said that, I do what Jack recommends. I buy a new hard drive to go with the new motherboard, install Windows on that, then install the old drive into what is now the new computer.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 97 V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 2:48:37 AM

Removing those drivers is part of the process. You HAVE to change the IDE driver, windows will update the others. Removing the old ones will make it faster.
m
0
l
!