Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting Overheating Issues & Maintaining A Cool System

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 7:47:11 PM

I have put together a basic (but complete) guide to Troubleshooting Overheating Issues & Maintaining A Cool System. There are a lot of people on these forums that have questions of this nature and I'm hoping that this guide may serve as a starting point for those people, but also as a reference to those who otherwise wish to maximise the cooling potential of their system. Whilst it is a basic guide, and much of it many of you may already know I am hoping that there will be something in here for everyone that will make it worth reading. I've learnt a lot from being a member of these forums and so this is me giving a bit back. You'll have to forgive me for the PDF Format; I'm having trouble editing my own posts on these forums and I wanted a medium that I could keep easily keep updated. I originally coded this guide in HTML but trying to find a free web-host that had no ads and generous image-size limits seemed to be a bit much to ask. I guess with PDF you can also save a copy to your computer for offline usage if you wish to do so. However, if anyone can recommend a hosting solution I would be very grateful. The guide can be downloaded from the link below:

Hotfile: http://hotfile.com/dl/43712735/7593218/Troubleshooting_...

Comments and criticisms are appreciated :)  I have copied the introduction from the guide below to give you a bit more insight.

---

This guide is designed to serve as a go-to point for anybody experiencing problems with their systems that appear to be a result of overheating. It will attempt to inform you of the dangers of overheating and its potential effects on your system as well as touching upon the main reasons overheating occurs and what you can do to reduce these effects. It will not delve into the subject of overclocking since this is an entirely different subject for which thorough and precise guides have already been written. However, it will assist you in lowering your temperatures if you are overclocking and have hit the thermal limit of your CPU or other components.

Since the majority of people with overheating problems experience them on their CPU, this guide will focus primarily upon this point. However, people with overheating issues of any kind should find that this guide will give them a good insight into how to rectify their problems. Furthermore, I’m a firm believer that proper airflow and ventilation throughout your case is the most effective method of ensuring that all of your system components remain cool.

This guide is, and will continue to be a work in progress. Any new information that I believe is valid and relevant shall be included as and when it becomes available. I strongly value the opinions of other forum members and would like to ask that anyone who feels something has been overlooked or is incorrect in any way to post here or PM me and I will update it to this guide.

---

More about : troubleshooting overheating issues maintaining cool system

a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 8:13:07 PM

Nice guide. Very well detailed. [:bohleyk:1]

I'll PM a mod to get this stickied. ;) 

a c 131 à CPUs
May 20, 2010 4:36:31 AM

Freakin' Sweet. I'll mull through it tomorrow and see if I come up with any comments.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2010 3:25:38 PM

Cheers for taking a look through guys. I've already through of a few things that I could add to it so they are on the to-do list...however if anyone can find anymore then all comments and criticisms would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 4:49:32 AM

Excellent guide! I'll be sure to thoroughly read it once I get a chance :) 

On a side note, I have that case (NZXT Apollo) :p  I'm pretty happy with it's performance.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 11:35:27 AM

Pyroflea said:
Excellent guide! I'll be sure to thoroughly read it once I get a chance :) 

On a side note, I have that case (NZXT Apollo) :p  I'm pretty happy with it's performance.

I also think that NZXT make very good quality and nice-looking cases...I almost bought one myself not too long ago :)  As I mentioned in the guide it just happened to be a suitable example of what I was trying to demonstrate and I hope nobody interprets that as discouragment against buying NZXT cases. Thanks for the comments!
June 21, 2010 9:22:43 AM

Was the guide deleted on purpose? This is the message I'm getting:

"This file is either removed due to copyright claim or is deleted by the uploader."
a c 172 à CPUs
June 21, 2010 2:26:10 PM

Since Computronix took his guide down, we could use a good guide on thermal management. But where did it go?
!