ry4ntd

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
So I just shot a feature film on the RED for basically no budget, and as such the director (also a close friend) needed my rig to edit the film. I'll be getting that rig (quad core e6600, 8 gigs of mem, a geforce 8800 gt 768 mb) back in about two or three months, but in the mean time I need a PC to get some work done. I pulled out an old one I had laying in my closet, a Dell from early 2006. The specs are as follows:

Pentium 4 3.4ghz
GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB RAM
2 GB of DDR3 RAM (had these lying around)
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P SCSI 150 GB

I want to spend the money to upgrade the video card on both essentially with one purchase, as I'll pull out whatever video card I'm buying for the Dell and put it into my rig when I get it back. Since this comp is so old though, I feel I could use a few opinions on how best to do this - I don't know if the processor or mobo will bottleneck a newer card or what have you.

I'll be using this comp for game development (not a lot of game playing) - UDK and Unity3d, and that's about it.

I'm looking for something ~$250 that's an upgrade worth the money from the 8800 that will also give a good performance boost to this older machine.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The HD5830 is perfectly in your price range at $240. If you can shell out $60 for the HD5850, that is better ($300).

Replace your 7800GTX with your 8800GT in your old system, ship the 7800GTX to me, and enjoy the HD5830 in your Q-Core system.