Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help building a budget computer for WoW

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2010 5:02:02 PM

Hi all I'm new and could use some help. I have an old dell gen 4 xps that I'm looking to replace and want to try my hand at building a computer. I've never done it before and looking through different articles on the web is turning out to be more confusing then helpful. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what components I can look at to give me a baseline on where I can start.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: would like to be sometime this month

BUDGET RANGE: cheaper the better under $800 would be nice but if you can do cheaper I will be a happy camper

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I'm a World of Warcraft addict and box two accounts, I will also use the computer for surfing the web

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers. I will need an os but it doesn't have to be part of the budget range

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I've only ever used newegg to buy parts but I'm open to others

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't really have one I was looking at this for the cpu but I'm not sure if I could get something better for a better price

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe I've never done it before but I'm open to try

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1280

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to be able to still use the ddr2 ram from my old xps but If I can't oh well. I'm just looking to get the best fps out of warcraft that I can on a limited budget.

Best solution

a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 11, 2010 5:06:39 PM

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $197 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
GPU: HD 5770 $155
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25
HSF (if OCing): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $29

Total: $811. This would be more than enough to max WoW at your resolution, and possibly at 1920x1080...
March 11, 2010 5:08:48 PM

Wow thank you for the quick reply. :bounce: 
m
l
March 18, 2010 12:12:00 AM

Best answer selected by purpledoggy.
m
l
Related resources
!