Sign in with
Your question

Q9550 temp problem. Could this be a bad CPU?!?!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 19, 2010 8:30:32 PM

Hey,

So I just purchased q9550 about a week ago. Started doing some test (true temp, core temp ect.)when I noticed that :

1) core 0 has a 5 C difference between the other three cores
2) core 2 is stock at 36 C ( I heard I shouldnt worry about this one but still)
3) this cpu is E0 stepping BUT its bad when overclocking. I couldnt even get 3.4 @ 1.3xx Vcore( max vcore for that chip)

I bought it at MicroCenter so I could replace the cpu (a lot of work involved ) but i want to have a piece of mind that I'm not dealing with bad batch?!?!?!

Any suggestions?

my specs:

q9550(TRUE w/two fans)
asus p5q se2
4gb ocz reapers
antec 650 true power
gtx 260 B.E
win 7
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 8:38:30 PM

Those temperatures don't seem too bad to me personally. It's natural for there to be a slight difference between the core temps. It could be down to a few things such as uneven pressure from the heatsink, uneven application of TIM or even that the one core is working harder than the rest. It's nothing to worry about though. Are you using the stock HSF or an aftermarket cooler?

This guide may be worth looking at for overclocking your chip:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-ove...

You could also view my guide on Troubleshooting Overheating Issues & Maintaining a Cool System:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282431-10-troublesh...

m
l
May 19, 2010 8:40:39 PM

moody89 said:
Are you using the stock HSF or an aftermarket cooler?

q9550(TRUE w/two fans)
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2010 8:43:36 PM

as far as the overclocking i think that my mobo(p5q se2) cant handle the job. It is rated to work 1600 FSB but I don't think its for extreme oc
m
l
May 19, 2010 9:14:25 PM

anybody else?!?!?! :??: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 9:34:44 PM

Make sure you aren't being limited by your RAM or NB.
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:21:33 PM

Raidur said:
Make sure you aren't being limited by your RAM or NB.

ram should be fine they are 1066 ocz reapers, BUT what you mean by NB??? I have it set up for AUTO. You think that may be an issue??? what would be a safe nb voltage for p5qse2???

Thanks in advance
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 10:30:38 PM

The old Core2Quad processors are known for having issues with temp sensors getting "stuck" on some cores. And it's very common to have a few degrees difference from 0 to others at times.
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:59:03 PM

jerreece said:
The old Core2Quad processors are known for having issues with temp sensors getting "stuck" on some cores. And it's very common to have a few degrees difference from 0 to others at times.

Man I just got it week ago....anyway do you think is it worth of trying and replacing this CPU and hoping the next one is better????
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 11:17:43 PM

I don't think you have a 'bad' cpu, and I don't think you should bother exchanging. Because I don't think anything will change.
System Builder Marathon: $1,250 Mid-Range PC
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-2-overclock,21...
Quote:
We tweaked some voltages and settings and were able to boot to a front side bus (FSB) speed of 400 MHz on the first try and a 3.4 GHz CPU speed. Encouraged, we tried to up the bus speed but encountered crashing.

We set the Vcore to 1.35 V and to 1.3 V for the CPU termination, MCH core, and ICH core. Memory was upped slightly to 1.9 V, and we limited the PCI Express (PCIe) bus to 100 MHz. We turned off virtualization
and thermal throttling as well. With these settings we were able to set the FSB to 425 MHz, for a 3.61 GHz clock speed.

Without pushing further, we wanted to see how hot and stable the system was at this speed, so we performed some Prime95 testing. While the system was completely stable, the Speedfan monitoring application reported temperatures of 77 degrees Celsius at load. Since we accepted high temperatures in our Core i7 920 testing from our last SBM (and considering that the CPU would probably never be stressed that hard except in a synthetic benchmark like Prime95), we continued with the ~800 MHz overclock and called it a day. A clock speed of 3.62 GHz is an acceptable overclock for a Q9550 on air and we wanted to produce some results that a buyer might reasonably expect from similar components.
m
l
May 20, 2010 2:41:43 AM

notty22 said:
I don't think you have a 'bad' cpu, and I don't think you should bother exchanging. Because I don't think anything will change.
Quote:
We tweaked some voltages and settings and were able to boot to a front side bus (FSB) speed of 400 MHz on the first try and a 3.4 GHz CPU speed. Encouraged, we tried to up the bus speed but encountered crashing.

We set the Vcore to 1.35 V and to 1.3 V for the CPU termination, MCH core, and ICH core. Memory was upped slightly to 1.9 V, and we limited the PCI Express (PCIe) bus to 100 MHz. We turned off virtualization
and thermal throttling as well. With these settings we were able to set the FSB to 425 MHz, for a 3.61 GHz clock speed.

Without pushing further, we wanted to see how hot and stable the system was at this speed, so we performed some Prime95 testing. While the system was completely stable, the Speedfan monitoring application reported temperatures of 77 degrees Celsius at load. Since we accepted high temperatures in our Core i7 920 testing from our last SBM (and considering that the CPU would probably never be stressed that hard except in a synthetic benchmark like Prime95), we continued with the ~800 MHz overclock and called it a day. A clock speed of 3.62 GHz is an acceptable overclock for a Q9550 on air and we wanted to produce some results that a buyer might reasonably expect from similar components.

notty22,

1)I believe that MCH core is NORTH BRIDGE but what about ICH core?(my guess SB???)
2)I can't find anything called thermal throttling and only thing I found close to this on my p5q se2 is (CPU TM FUNCTION)- let me know if If that's what it is.

anything else I may want to consider disable/enable in bios for my stable OC???
m
l
May 20, 2010 2:47:15 AM

should I leave speedstep (when idle cpu multiplier drop down) enable or should I disable it or doesn't matter.

and what about LLC. I've checked my mobo and I can't see this function. Supposedly p5q should have LLC function but maybe i should update my BIOS???
m
l
May 21, 2010 1:15:28 AM

<>UPDATE<>

Ok guys after hard core 24 hours of testing( 12 hrs prime and 12 hrs OCCT) I have the results and I think I finally have a stable RIG, but I want you guys to tell me what you think and add any comments.

The only question I have is regards OCCT cpu stress. When It finished it is telling me; " ERROR CORE 3 DETECTE" (See pictures for details) BUT could this be that sensor that is stocked on this CPU that i was telling you about????

Ok so please comment anything or I should be ok?. Thanks in advance

BIOS SETTINGS:

UNDER LOAD
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

IDLE

OCCT results:

TEMP
m
l
May 21, 2010 2:21:17 AM

anybody?
m
l
May 21, 2010 3:50:58 AM

notty22 said:
Quote:

Guys dunno but after I thought my cpu is stable.... i encountered the same problem like before..... after playing a while the game crashes and its not gpu ... it totally freezes(video/audio).... I'm suspecting that this chip has something to do with that..... :/ 
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:02:06 AM

bad company 2 is even crashing after default setting in bios..... dunno what that may be? CPU? GPU? MOBO???/
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:42:09 AM

. I did furmark test the gpu at IDLE is at aprox 49-55, under load furmark test gets to like 85-87 and then is when I get freeze. Task manager doesnt work computer is totally freezed up.
m
l
!