Your question

Help me choose, need new card!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 11, 2013 8:43:31 PM

Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new gfx card and I'm a bit torn between two brands with slightly different clock speeds

these are the two cards I'm interested in:

Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2048MB OC
or
MSI Radeon HD7870 2048MB TWIN FROZR

https://www.inet.se/jamfor?compare=5409436&compare=5409...

If you chooses one brand over the other please motivate why you would do so, like if you have had better exp. with one over the other.

and please I dont want to spend more money to get the 7950 as I'm sticking to a budget

Thanks in advance

More about : choose card

January 11, 2013 8:46:00 PM

motella said:
Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new gfx card and I'm a bit torn between two brands with slightly different clock speeds

these are the two cards I'm interested in:

Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2048MB OC
or
MSI Radeon HD7870 2048MB TWIN FROZR

https://www.inet.se/jamfor?compare=5409436&compare=5409...

If you chooses one brand over the other please motivate why you would do so, like if you have had better exp. with one over the other.

and please I dont want to spend more money to get the 7950 as I'm sticking to a budget

Thanks in advance

btw My system specs are

i5 3570k (stock atm)
ASRock Z77 Pro3
Corsair 800GS
Corsair H70
Corsair 8gb Vengance
1.5 tb mHDD

a c 90 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 8:55:48 PM

The mHDD, does that mean it's designed for mobiles (laptops)? Is it 2.5" or 3.5"?

I'm just asking because that could be seriously slowing your computer down.

That being said, I'd go for the Gigabyte - it's got an amazing cooler.
Related resources
January 11, 2013 8:55:52 PM

Personally, I would prefer the MSI Twin Frozr because a lot of my friends like the Twin Frozr cooler.

I've never really heard a lot about Gigabyte cards.

But what about the XFX Double D 7870? That one looks promising.

You should talk about what games you're planning to play.
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 8:58:03 PM

MSI Twin Frozr because it will run cooler imo.
January 11, 2013 9:30:58 PM

was originally planning for a xfx card with dd, but they're out of stock,
and as far as the hdd goes its a "big boi" but not for laptops, (it sat in my old system ,seagate 7200 something I think).
I am currently w8ing for a 2.5 and will prolly go for a SSD down the road. but right now I just want to play games in full HD, like BF3 FC3 and so on, all the heavy hitting games.

January 11, 2013 9:51:59 PM

I know that the 660 and 7850 are single 6-pin cards, but does the 7870 require 2 6-pin connectors?

Just wondering, not that it really matters for OP with his 800GS PSU.
January 11, 2013 11:40:58 PM

my 800GS have 4x 6+2 pins , which is part of the reason I bought it since I plan on going crossfire in the future...but like I said, with which car :S

Still people here have been recomending the GB card and having 50hz more on clockspeed is definately appealing but so is the cooling which in theory would allow fo loads of overclocking with the msi (and its twin frozr)
January 12, 2013 11:59:04 AM

pit_1209 said:
Go with gigabyte, in this review they compare the gigabyte windforce against msi twin fozr with a hd 7950, the windforce win but is almost the same and the gigabyte one looks cooler.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

yea saw that the GBt was better on 7950 but I actually compared from 2 different reviews the GBt vs Powercolor PCS+ and the MSI card from another site and appearantly the GBt card has the worst OC abilities, especially in memory.

yet again I thought I was convinced that I would go with the MSI but almost all people advise me to go with GBt so I guess I'm gonna have to go with it
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 3:17:21 PM

motella said:
yea saw that the GBt was better on 7950 but I actually compared from 2 different reviews the GBt vs Powercolor PCS+ and the MSI card from another site and appearantly the GBt card has the worst OC abilities, especially in memory.

yet again I thought I was convinced that I would go with the MSI but almost all people advise me to go with GBt so I guess I'm gonna have to go with it

If you wanna go with the MSi go for it, is not like you´re going to regret that desicion, at that level it´s just matter of preferences, those cards are virtually the same, go with the cheaper one.
January 13, 2013 2:54:23 AM

motella said:

I respect that decision. I suggested MSI because I'm extremely afraid of handling a GPU and accidentally breaking the cooler, and the Gigabyte cooler looks quite fragile in my hands.

You'll have a blast with those big fans. I don't think the OC is all that bad.
January 15, 2013 10:11:40 AM

MSI Twin Frozr so you could overclock without worrying about the video card overheating
January 24, 2013 4:51:03 AM

I have msi gtx 680 with twin frost card under full load for hours of gaming will not pass 72 degrees at 1212 oc core. Fans hit 70 percent bit loud in my case but worth the cooling. I know asus has very good cooling. I read the reviews on gigabyte non are a bad choice but most reviews favor twin frost for best cooling. Plus msi afterburner is cool and easy to use. I guess im partial to msi since I own it to be honest but I did my research asus best for oc by a smudge but twin forst always wins in cooling.
!