Sign in with
Your question

Monitor flickers on startup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2010 11:49:36 PM

Hi guys. Well basically. when I boot up my computer, the monitor stays black, then after a minute or so, it starts to flicker, then after another minute, it runs perfectly. This happens only when the computer has been off/sleeping for a long period of time, for example, if I restart the PC and monitor, it runs fine.
Help? I have an NVIDIA 8800GT graphics card too, and my monitor is SyncMaster 2232 BW plus (samsung)
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2010 11:54:21 PM

The monitor is just taking time to warm up, this is perfectly acceptable.
m
l
February 27, 2010 4:10:25 AM

Is there any way to fix this?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 4:13:25 AM

Well, dont shut off the minitor?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 4:21:04 AM

a LCD staying blank for over a minute...? thats unheard of, perhaps bad caps or something in the monitor, try computer with a different monitor and see if that works fine.
At truhls/shadow, my school has CRTs still, and when your turn them on, they take bout 2 seconds to turn on, 3 secs of auto adjusting screen on monitor (shaking of the display), then theyre good to go... no reason why a LCD screen should be 100x worse then that
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 4:57:27 AM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
a LCD staying blank for over a minute...? thats unheard of, perhaps bad caps or something in the monitor, try computer with a different monitor and see if that works fine.
At truhls/shadow, my school has CRTs still, and when your turn them on, they take bout 2 seconds to turn on, 3 secs of auto adjusting screen on monitor (shaking of the display), then theyre good to go... no reason why a LCD screen should be 100x worse then that

Well he said " When he turns hi computer on " so chances are it will take 30ish seconds to even get to the bios there is 30 seconds off that "1 minute". Two people tend to overstate what they say, his 1 minute is probably closer to 30-40 seconds. Unless hes using an SSD his screen is going to be black for 20ish seconds no matter what.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 5:04:46 AM

I got a dell laptop that POSTs for 20secs, then goes to the xp loading screen... and POST as in stuff on screen, its checking for drives and such...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 5:16:46 AM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
I got a dell laptop that POSTs for 20secs, then goes to the xp loading screen... and POST as in stuff on screen, its checking for drives and such...

So you hit the power button and your screen isnt blank ever? Cus i have ever heard of that before.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 5:56:38 AM

Like hit button, delay of perhaps a second, bios beep, does its post stuff, and were into the xp load screen. Even my family desktop with a e5200 i think it is and a older 17 inch LCD boots like this, and does it much faster
m
l
February 27, 2010 2:52:20 PM

I just timed it, takes 3.5 minutes to start flickering from completely black, then 2 minutes to become uniform. It only happens if my PC has been off for a long period of time (hours), and it doesnt make a difference if I leave my monitor on or off. For example, if I restart my PC it'll work fine. Could it be because my room is usually quite cold? I never see my BIOS or load screen, by the time it starts flickering, it's at my desktop
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2010 2:55:44 PM

It's because your monitor needs to warm up. If you touch any monitor, you'll notice it's warm. There's a GOOD REASON for that.

Also, lawls at CRT - LCD comparison.
m
l
October 9, 2012 11:52:51 PM

I have 2 SyncMaster 226 BW on my Nvidia 8800GTX for about 5 years. They are almost always running. 1 month before, I noticed flicks on startup on my primary monitor, just like you mentioned. As time passed, the flicking time increased. Now it takes about a minute. But the second monitor is qorking still perfectly. Note that both monitors runtime in 5 years were same, regardless of being primary or secondary displays. I aggree about warm up issue, but 1 monitor is not doing that.

There must be a failure on warm up component on the monitor maybe (is there is one). Or this must be the way of an LCD monitor saying "Replace me"
m
l
!