Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gateway E-5400D with core 2 duo and ati 4670???

Last response: in CPUs
May 19, 2010 8:40:04 PM

Can the core 2 duo processor with 1066MHZ bus speed and LGA775 socket work with the motherboard in Gateway E-4500D? I cant find the D945GPB desktop board at the intel website. The Intel Board ID tool has found BOARD MODEL:D 945GPB, BIOS VERSION:p B94510J.15A.0172.2005.0822.1102, OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 7.
I am currently running Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHZ processor.
Also will it run 65nm or 45nm processor? Can you please tell the supported core 2 duo processor numbers.
Will this motherboard support the ATI 4670 1GHZ graphic card?
Any help would be highly regarded.
Thank You.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 8:59:18 PM

The only information I can find on it is that it is an Intel (Putton Bay) 945G Motherboard which seems to be an OEM board manufacturerd for Gateway by Intel. Such boards are generally a nightmare to find CPU support lists for but the only information I can find it on it is that it supports P4 CPUs up to 1066MHz FSB on an LGA775 socket. My guess is that a C2D CPU with such specs would probably be compatible although you will almost certainly need to perform a BIOS update. Therein lies the next problem which is actually finding a BIOS update for that board. As I mentioned OEM boards are usually a nightmare in terms of upgradeability. That being said there is a BIOS revision available on the Gateway website for your system that dates 5/2/2007:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?s...

I'm not sure if that will be recent enough however, it's up to you whether you wish to chance your arm or not.

As far as your GPU goes, any motherboard with a PCI-E slot should support that card. The question really is whether your PSU can support it. These are the official power requirements for your system based on your GPU:

400 Watt or greater power supply (550 Watt for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode) is recommended

This applies to the whole system not just the GPU.
May 19, 2010 9:28:05 PM

ok i cannot find any release notes for this bios update. ive updated my system as you said but how should i know that now this will support core 2 duo. I was thinking of buying a pentium d but i read in a forum here that PD totally sucked in front of core 2 duo.
I am basically updating my processor and gpu to play gta 4 and modern warfare 2 but the minimum specs show core 2 duo. my system config is 3.2ghz, 320GB 7200rpm Sata, 2GB ram and i am ready to buy a ati 4670 to meet the requirements of this game but its the processor thats causing problem. can anybody please verify that these games will work lag free with 3.2ghz p4. The Windows Experience Index show my processor subscore 4.2 if it helps. Help guys, please.
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2010 9:29:33 PM

and yes ive a mercury 400 watt power supply so i think that it will take the load.
m
l
August 22, 2011 6:10:59 AM

farighlarka said:
and yes ive a mercury 400 watt power supply so i think that it will take the load.

So, what happened to you?
You really bought that C 2 D and above mentioned GPU or not?
waiting for your reply...
m
l
September 1, 2011 4:50:16 AM

Best answer selected by farighlarka.
m
l
November 1, 2012 10:18:16 AM

farighlarka said:
ok i cannot find any release notes for this bios update. ive updated my system as you said but how should i know that now this will support core 2 duo. I was thinking of buying a pentium d but i read in a forum here that PD totally sucked in front of core 2 duo.
I am basically updating my processor and gpu to play gta 4 and modern warfare 2 but the minimum specs show core 2 duo. my system config is 3.2ghz, 320GB 7200rpm Sata, 2GB ram and i am ready to buy a ati 4670 to meet the requirements of this game but its the processor thats causing problem. can anybody please verify that these games will work lag free with 3.2ghz p4. The Windows Experience Index show my processor subscore 4.2 if it helps. Help guys, please.

:sleep:  I don't mean to be rude, but instead of taking a chance on losing equipment that could be ruined and also losing any invested money, why don't you look for a dual core processor and upgrade it to your liking. Video card, memory, operating system, etc. This way you know what you are getting beforehand. Just a thought.
m
l
!