sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
hey guy i was wondering if my motherboard supports quad core or not
this is my system info

------------------
System Information

------------------
Operating System: Windows Vista? Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: M56S-S3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 6142MB RAM
Page File: 2323MB used, 10171MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

think this is the one
http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/cpulist/ga-m56s-s3_1x.html

this is the list for the supported cpu
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2607

so, does it support quad core??

It has support for any CPU that's rated under 100 watts. You can get the Athlon II X4 635/640/645 but you probably need to update your BIOS before installing the new CPU, those AM3 quads require the F6H BIOS version (beta).

Your mobo has support for some Phenom II X4 quads but you have to be careful they must be the 95W version not the 125W one.

You can find what's your BIOS version in Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information.

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
im sorry but how can i tell which are the ones supported and which ones are not???
http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/cpulist/ga-m56s-s3_1x.html
here it says its Socket AM2, so does it mean it only supports AM2 cpu??

and on the bottom of the cpu support list it says

(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200 MT/s) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the Frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted.

not really sure what it means though, can i use the AM3 quad cpu or not??
what should i look under for compaitability???

sorry im new to this and this is pretty confusing

Only supports AMD CPUs you want to scroll down and look at the Socket AM3 table.

the CPUs listed in there work on your mobo if on the right side of the table it's a BIOS version number, for instance "F6H". If it says "N/A" they're not supported.

Don't bother with the bus speed.

You need to learn how to upgrade your BIOS to the newest version, it's not hard and then install the new AM3 CPU. The Athlon II X4 are very good and not too expensive.

LE You must upgrade the BIOS while using your current CPU.

Mystery solved: AMD designed the Phenom II processor family to make an easy transition from older socket AM2 and AM2+ computers to socket AM3 CPUs and DDR3-based motherboards.

The Table is for ALL of the CPU supported, and is Organized by CPU Socket Types:
Socket AM2 | Socket AM3 | Socket AM2+
CPU List:
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2607

GA-M56S-S3 (rev. 1.x)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2607#sp
CPU:
Support for Socket AM2+/ AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™FX processor/ AMD Phenom™ processor/ AMD Athlon™ 64 FX processor/AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core processor/AMD Athlon™ 64 processor/AMD Sempron™ processor
(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
thx guys now i understand much better
however i got a question about upgrading BIOS
if i do do i need to reinstall everything eg. systems
or is it just a simple upgrade, if u know any good guide please post them thx so much!!!

ANS - System - NO you will not have to reinstall your OS.

ANS - "just a simple upgrade" - NO Do it ONLY if you have a PROBLEM.

Q - What version of BIOS do you have now?

If you Flash the ONLY use the Gigabyte Q-Flash method.

ref:

F6H 20/08/2010 1. Beta BIOS, 2. Update CPU AGESA 3.7.1.0, 3. Fix ATI Radeon HD 5000 series VGA card compatibility

F5 22/01/2009 1. Update CUP ID (AGESA 3.3.2.0)

F4 10/12/2008 1. Update AGESA code to Ver.3.1.9.0

F3 4/12/2007 1. Fix: Some of 1000 GB (1TB) HDDs will be detected size error. 2. Update CPU ID (Support AM2+ Phenom CPU)

F2 26/09/2007 1. Update CPU ID (Support AM2 G1/G2-Stepping CPU)

F1 2/7/2007 1. First Release

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
my BIOS version is F1 : P
I think i need to update to F6H to get the cpu i want
so what should I do to upgrade the BIOS, whats the safest way for it???

also after I updated it do i need to tweak it?? im pretty noob at this

Your mobo has Q-Flash, so you can use that for updating your BIOS.

You need an USB stick, format it (right click on it - quick format) FAT32 . If you have some other stuff on it save it to the HDD, by formatting you erase the stick.

Go in the BIOS (press DEL while the system POSTs) and load the optimized defaults, save and exit with F10.

Put the downloaded BIOS files in the stick.

Put the stick in the PC, restart, enter the BIOS again go to the Q-Flash utility like in the video.

It's best to back up your current BIOS in case something goes wrong. Select "Save Bios to drive" then your USB memory stick and name it oldbios.f1 or whatever you want followed by ".f1".

Select update BIOS from drive, select the USB drive and the new BIOS file (F6H) and hit Enter.

Wait for the completion and don't touch anything until it says it's complete. Hit any key. Then hit Esc to reset and then Enter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCId1Mcrw4&feature=related

http://www.multimolti.com/blog/2010/01/10/update-bios-using-q-flash-for-gigabyte-mainboards/

Running Q-Flash is pretty easy and it is the only way I would Flash a Gigabyte. You'll need a USB Flash Drive -> Formatted FAT-32 and Windows Bootable {format as Bootable}.

Regarding versions, I'm generally not too keen on Beta Bios unless you're bleeding edge, and instead I would go to F5 22/01/2009.

Further, BIG leaps don't often work and end in failure, so it it were me I would:
Load Optimized prior to flash
F1 -> F3
F3 -> F5

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
thx guys for the info, its great help
im think im gonna buy either AMD Phenom II X4 955 or AMD Athlon II X4 640

although i posted it the other section, i have the question regarding the board,
will it have serious issues since its the peak for which it supports AM3 and it uses a beta BIOS, so will it cause troubles like can't read the board or misidentify?? because i really want to get one of the those two cards, thx

I'd be lying if I said no. There's two issues with your MOBO 1. Architecture {nForce 560} and 2. Slow Bandwidth add to it s-l-o-w DDR support @ 800 MHz.

The Beta BIOS will be shortly replaced with {F6}, and the F5 is what I strongly recommend. Beta doesn't mean better it means you're a guinea pig; fix 'A' breaking 'B' and possibly making you worst off.

sapped

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
yeah, only the 95W one for 955 is supported,
and about the BIOS, is there a release date for F6??
if you find it please post it so i can decide whether i should wait or use the beta, thx