$2000.00 gaming PC with expandability and cable managment in mind

scottp68

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (within the month 3/2010 - 4/2010)) BUDGET RANGE: ($1,500 for sytem and another $500.00 for a good 24"LCD monitor) Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming- I play EVE-Online more than anything else but I also play Games like Civilization and Dragon Age no shooters. I will keep my old system for downloads surfing and any other online stuff. The new build will be for gaming only.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: ( I will need it all )

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ( newegg.com, but if there is somthing better please advise )

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: ( US )

PARTS PREFERENCES: ( I would like to use an Intel CPU, to start with 6gigs of ram & Gigabyte or ASUS mobo and COOLER MASTER HAF 932 )

OVERCLOCKING: Yes (i7 920) but it dose not need to be maxed out at 4 GHZ. any sugestions would be appriciated. what ever is more cost affective within my buget

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes depending on who I ask its seems that both camps praise there choice and says it is the only way to go. I do not need to jump right in with a secound card but i will be adding a secound card down the line

MONITOR RESOLUTION: ( My samsung 932bw plus is 1440x900 native ) I want what ever resolution is best for my setup remember the new monitore will only be used for gaming.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am intimidated with water cooling but I am sure there are plenty of guides for this. The reason I chose the 932 is that expandablity I have seen some photos of very good builds using the storm sniper that look great but it looks like a tight fit.

Cable management is something I will need a lot of help with i have seen some systems that looks like they are in a sleave some use ties but the wires are bare this will be the first time I used cable management if you looked be hinde my tv you would see well i don't know but its scary I want to do this right.

Thanks in advance

CPU: i7-930 $295
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310
RAM: G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $180
GPU: HD 5870 $380
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ $100
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90
Case: HAF 922 $90
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $29
Monitor: Asus 24" 1080p $230

Total: $1,834

There's no point in going above the HAF 922. It's huge, and has many more features than the 932.

As for cable management, you just have to route the cables nicely and use either zip ties to keep them together or use heat shrinking. I personally like using zip ties.

scottp68

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

Thanks MadAdmiral , your choice of ram I am not familiar with that brand. The i7 930 is only about $10 dollars more than the 920 I had not even looked at the diff. thanks for pointing that out as well. I have looked at all the parts you sugested what is your reason for the Asus P6X58D. I am not questioning it I would just like to understand what to look for

scottp68

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Sorry I took so long to mark as best answer. Of course I refer to both answer and the reasons for your choice of brands.

I do have one more question in regards to psu. I have been looking at the video card and it appears that the ati is a better card. I like this card HIS HD 5870 iCooler V Turbo 1GB (256bit) GDDR5 PCIe (DirectX 11/ Eyefinity) but I can't find it anywhere to buy. Ok to the point will the psu you sugested, be ok when I buy the secound card down the road.

Is the iCooler worth the extra.