Huge Loss of Space on Hard Drive

So, I've lost a huge amount of space on my hard drive in a very short period of time.

Yesterday, I had 251 GB free of 455 on my C Drive. And, the only thing I did yesterday was update my graphics drivers.
Now I have 141 GB free.

I really have no idea as to what the reason of this is.

Note: I'm not very familiar with computers, or this forum. So I apologize if I've posted in the wrong section.

- Shintrasix
4 answers Last reply
More about huge loss space hard drive
  1. You can right click on the folders in Windows and check the properties of each folder. Then find the one with a large size and keep limiting it down to find where this is coming from. Or you can get a program that will show your drive in a pie chart and you just dig through that to find out where all the space went.
  2. Try running windirstat it should show you what is taking up the space.

http://windirstat.info/
  3. When you installed the new drivers for the video card, Windows set a "System Restore Point" in case you need to recover or roll back the driver.

Depending on the size of the files, this can be very large. It's kinda like a backup before you update stuff (but not quite).

Check the size of your System Restore points, and back ups, if you have them.
  4. Okay, I ran windirstat and found that my "recordings" folder, where I keep all of my Fraps recordings, was taking up a total of 220 GB of space!

However, right now there's a total of maybe a dozen different recordings in the folder. All of these being around 4 minutes long and taking up around 3.5 GB each. And of course, they're only this size because I've been to lazy to compress them. I've recorded probably thousands but I just delete the one's I don't want.

So, how can this folder be taking up so much space?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage