Huge Loss of Space on Hard Drive

Shintrasix

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
So, I've lost a huge amount of space on my hard drive in a very short period of time.

Yesterday, I had 251 GB free of 455 on my C Drive. And, the only thing I did yesterday was update my graphics drivers.
Now I have 141 GB free.

I really have no idea as to what the reason of this is.

Note: I'm not very familiar with computers, or this forum. So I apologize if I've posted in the wrong section.

- Shintrasix

You can right click on the folders in Windows and check the properties of each folder. Then find the one with a large size and keep limiting it down to find where this is coming from. Or you can get a program that will show your drive in a pie chart and you just dig through that to find out where all the space went.

When you installed the new drivers for the video card, Windows set a "System Restore Point" in case you need to recover or roll back the driver.

Depending on the size of the files, this can be very large. It's kinda like a backup before you update stuff (but not quite).

Check the size of your System Restore points, and back ups, if you have them.

Shintrasix

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Okay, I ran windirstat and found that my "recordings" folder, where I keep all of my Fraps recordings, was taking up a total of 220 GB of space!

However, right now there's a total of maybe a dozen different recordings in the folder. All of these being around 4 minutes long and taking up around 3.5 GB each. And of course, they're only this size because I've been to lazy to compress them. I've recorded probably thousands but I just delete the one's I don't want.

So, how can this folder be taking up so much space?