Something is leeching space from my SSD...

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Steps i have already did:

1. Turned off hibernate in CMD prompt.
2. Moved page file.
3. Turned off system restore.

What else could be stealing space from my SSD? Every few hours it seems i lose 100mb or so.,

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Make a log of programs that you start. Check the disk space every hour and add that to the log. A pattern may emerge.

Open the Properties dialogue for the drive and see what the Disk Cleanup button on the General tab has to say. See if the categories that it shows change in step with the disk space loss that you're logging.

Do you have any programs that crash frequently, possibly leaving a batch of undeleted temporary files each time?

Along those lines, do you use Internet Explorer? I no longer use IE much so can't check the latest version but its cache used to be prone to losing files after a crash. Lost files will not show up in the Temporary Internet Files folder in Explorer as that's a virtual folder designed to only show the filers that IE knows about.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Have you installed any Windows updates recently? Windows Vista and Windows 7 stores the update uninstlall files in C:\Windows\Winsxs. You can gain some of the space back by runing the service pack cleanup tool. You won't be able to uninstall the SP if you remove these files. These work in Vista but I am not sure if they exist in Windows 7.

For Vista SP1 - Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and run vsp1cln.exe
For Vista SP2 - Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and run compcln.exe

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Thx for the replies, i just ran disk cleanup and it only said i could clear up 9mb, since then ive lost another 100mb. No lie, i bet this thing fills itself up by the end of the week at this rate.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
- reduce system restore in Advanced settings
- reduce recycling bin size
- disk cleanup
- check your c:\"user"\My Downloads folder
- program files in the device manager and clear the crap out
- hidden folder called App Data that has a FEW clutter things in there
- picture folders with more recent high mega pixel cameras can easily exceed Gigs

And the list goes on...

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

I just installed win 7 on it yesterday so this SHOULDNt be too hard to figure out :p

Like i said in the OP i already disabled system restore. I have almost no data other than drivers on my SSD (and world of warcraft).

Im not looking to free up space because i still have 20gb free on a 60gb ssd, but i need to find the root of the problem.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Here is just downloaded space sniffer, i think i figured out how to post a screenshot. Since my first post i have lost like 400mb's (21.1gb's down to 19.7gb's, no idea where it went).:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/spacesniffer.png/

Can someone look at this and decipher it for me?

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Type %appdata% into run and see what you can find in there. Computernerdforlife up above mentioned it but you haven't said whether you've tried it. You've got 1.2gb's in there. Also 1.3gb's in your user account.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Here are the folders in appdata:

Adobe
Identities
Macromedia
Media Center Programs
Microsoft
Splitmedialabs (my streaming program)

I highlighted them all and right clicked properties and it said :

size: 1.93mb's
Size on disk: 2.45mb's

So im not sure what to say.

winsxs/backup is actually part of Microsoft's solution to what used to be called "DLL hell." The issue occurred when you installed multiple apps that used the same DLL - but expected different versions!

Here is a decent article about it which mentions how not to clean it and some things that clean it. Removing the ability to back out patches and service packs is a time-honored way to save space, even back in XP.

I'll look at the rest of the image later...

EDIT: Here's an interesting quote from the usually reliable sevenforums.com "Also, it really doesn't use as much extra disk space as it appears to because most stuff in other Windows folders and subfolders are just hard links to the winsxs files. "

EDIT 2: And this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/122262-windows-7-sp1-disk-cleanup-tool.html

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I think i found it! Program files is up 100mb, from 1.0gb to 1.1 gb, then if you look down a bit you can see the AVAST folder is also larger. Now the question is, how the hell is the avast folder getting bigger.....and why?>

It keeps downloaded the most recent virus definitions update. It includes all the previous definitions. There has got to be a log in there somewhere. Maybe you can clear it.

I just did an update for Norton, and it was 2.4 MB, I think.