I have legal XP OEM keys from my old computers.. How to obtain media?

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I have Windows XP OEM keys from some of my older computers over the last few years. Well, many years... but, I was wondering if there is a way to download the installation files as an ISO or to create an ISO file so I can use them on a new (well old, but new to me lol) Toshiba laptop and/or extra desktop.

I have two Dell OEM keys... one (or both) XP Home SP1 and one (possibly) XP Home SP2
I have one HP OEM key... and, I believe may be XP Pro SP2

The Windows 7 product key on the Toshiba laptop is worn off (I know... quite a shame..), so I wanted to use one of these XP keys on it. They are genuine and/or legal as I just kept the stickers before trashing the pcs they were on. Then, I actually still have the HP pc but the hard drive needs to be replaced so a new install is needed. However, as you know, I'm missing the media/software... I plan to replace the hard drive and use it for pc repair jobs.

Any ideas? All help is appreciated.

OEM licenses are non-transferable (legally) to another computer, they may be genuine and not hacked, but the licensing for the OEM version prohibits the setup to be moved to another computer.

You can find XP OEM disks in a few places, do a web search. Keep in mind that not all OEM keys will work with all OEM disks.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Hmm.. well that's crappy. You'd think I'd be the owner of the key and can do what I want with it since it was part of the purchased "bundle," in this case the "bundle" being the laptop and any/all software/hardware that comes with it... This also makes me wonder why making a hardware change to the computer doesn't void the licensing agreement, because at that point the computer isn't the computer released by the manufacturer anymore, lol... Oh, computers...

But, that is where I'm having issues, lol. I know my HP key will not work with any Dell discs and vice versa. I also know that the OEM keys will not work with a "retail" version (as I have one of those as well lol).

What I'm not sure about, is if I can use any Dell OEM disc (regardless of Service Pack version) with any Dell OEM key?

Technically, if you swap out too many parts in a computer, it will tell you it's not activated, so yes hardware changes cause issues with licensing. The motherboard is the main thing, you swap out a motherboard, you need to re-activate Windows. Usually done with no problems though, MS does not give you a hard time with doing that.

I don't know exactly which keys will work with what disks though.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Hmm.. ok. Thanks for your help. Maybe I can find more about this online... I just haven't had much luck when trying to locate just the recovery software. Everything I find seems to be cracked versions, and I have no interest in them since they can cause more harm than good...

howardmac

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
u can install on all or what u want any u have key for

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Thanks for the input. I plan to use them once I can find the media. I'm having issues tracking down the OS reinstall software (that isn't a cracked, no key needed version). And, I no longer have the PCs they were used on so I can't ask the manufacturer (I don't think anyways). Any ideas on how to acquire just the OEM installation discs/software?