Dracio

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Ok I have a custom built pc and I like to generally mess around with software/hardware.
I'm thinking of turning my pc into a "hackintosh". I like apple... but some of us really don't have the money for that sort of system. (although mine is pretty high spec :pt1cable: )
I have a legal copy of snow leopard (See I am a good boy :) ) but I just need to know if my system is compatable, wether I can get it working or not, and the know-how to get it working.

My system is:

Intel i5 750 2.66GHz (currently running at 3.6GHz)
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo
Powercolor ATi 4850 512Mb
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW 48x
Lite-on Blu-ray 4x drive
Asus D2X sound card (can use the mobo sound if necessary)
belkin 54g wireless network card
Samsung f1 1tb HDD
Corsair TX 750W

Currently running windows 7 pro x64

Thanks for any help you can give :)

There are entire sites dedicated to running OSX on non-Apple hardware, but this is not one of those sites. I can't give you direct links to the sites because it's against the forum policy. A simple Google search should give you plenty of info, though. :)

Dracio

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the reply- i've tried said sites, but I can't seem to make head or tail of what they're saying.
I'm not great with all the technical stuff I just like to... try this/that/everything really.
I suppose all i really need is a yes/no on wether my hardware is compatable, and then a basic step-by-step to installing... none of the sites seem to provide this, they waffle on about how some hardware is, but isn't compatable (yes they seem to contradict alot) and then go onto some overly complicated instructions for installing.

The reason they conflict each other is that it is technically illegal to use Apple software on non-Apple hardware. So compatibility is iffy and instalation is complicated.

If you're not technically inclined, stick with Windows.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
That's because they keep improving their stuff, and compatibility with certain things may or may not break, improve or newly exist with each version/method. Sort of like how emulation can sometimes be.

So when looking at stuff make sure you check the age to see if it's simply outdated info that should be ignored. IIRC you want to use the chameleon type stuff, and specifically to your question IDK. Macs are intel but I think they're currently all still core 2 duo's and as such IDK if they've moved to the i-series stuff yet. Then again I think I've heard of people running it on AMD systems.

In other words, good luck and have fun.

There isn't a simple site because installing OSX on non-Apple hardware is not simple. If you want to do it, you have to jump through the hoops or it won't work. There's no such thing as just sticking the OSX DVD into your drive and letting it do its thing. I suggest sticking with Windows 7 if you're "not great with all the technical stuff". Sorry. :(

Dracio

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone.
hmm. I know a rough bit, taking a computer science degree etc, so... try me on the tech stuff ;)

A guide that's a few years out of date isn't going to do you any good with your i5/p55 system. Like I said, you'll get much better information by doing a Google search. I just did one and came up with all sorts of useful information. I'm not going to provide the link because it is against our forum rules, but it was a pretty simple search.