Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Question:

Is it normal that speakers make a strage sound when some heavy aplication begin working - for example, an antivirus program update - (but just in that moment) while listening to music? I think that is because I haven't changed to 64bit OS, and I'm still using 4GB of RAM. Is this, or I have another issue?

Please, I'm a little bit worried.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
It all depends on your system. If you have a slow system then maybe running another app while listening to music may make the music judder but thats because there's not enough juice to run your program and process your music at the same time. It's nothing to do with the speakers.

It doesn't sound like you have a slow system though judging by your 4GB RAM and a 32bit OS still shouldn't cause this. The other things that's worrying is that an antivirus update isn't exactly a "heavy application." Are you sure your system is clean of malware etc.?

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I'd Agreee with moody, clean up your system and see if it continues to

could you also post other specs?

is this a laptop/imac or desktop pc?

Also are you playing music off a external harddrive?

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
well, this are the specs, it's a desktop PC:

Phenom II 720 X3 2.8 GHz; ASUS M4A785-M Hyper transport 3.0; 4GB RAM DDR2 800 MHz KVR; Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB; Main HDD Seagate 7200 Rpm SATA 16MB.
But I have my music stored in an older 120 GB HDD. I don't know how fast it is.

I'll be checking for malware.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
The quickest test to eliminate the possibility of your older HDD would of course be to copy a couple of MP3s over to your new drive, play them from there and see if there's any difference. My bet would be its something else though! And with those specs you shouldn't be having any trouble multi-tasking ;)

Yeah have a good sweep for malware; MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is a good free scanner. I would also recommend SUPERAntiSpyware, I personally think it picks up more than MBAM. It's also free for scanning-only. Use SpywareBlaster for preventative measures.

Other than this, maybe have a check in the BIOS that everything is as it should be; your CPU and RAM etc. are all recognised as they should be as it could be that you need a BIOS update.

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Again i agree with moody, if the 120gb is old, and thats what your playing music off, it may be down to that. i wouldn't say a AV program updating is heavy application use either.(nvm Moody already said that)

Has this been doing this for as long as you can remember? or just recently? have you changed any hardware recently?

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
The Sound card -VIA high definition audio - is, actually, onboard, and the noise is different from that interference you talk: no cellphone nor anything like that was nearby the computer. Now, this sound - that is like a very short buzz - has happened only in VERY FEW ocations, to be more precise, when some updates ask for reboot the system. Anyway, it hasn't happened lately.

To reply the other very useful posts, I haven't changed any hardware, I'll be updating my BIOS, and I'll surely try those anti spyware softwares.

Thanks all of you!

iholbrookv2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

My computer does the same thing its just because what ever your doing at that exact moment is taking most of the performance away to run the drivers for Windows properly.

Alex_60

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
aha! maybe is that. But, usually, when I'm updating my system, I'm just listening to music. Anyway, there are more than 45 gb of music that winamp has to process.

And, darkguset, I have a 650w PSU. If you could be more specific about what info do ya need, I would be pleased to give you that!

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
What brand is your PSU. Have you checked the voltages? Check them if you can while your computer is working fine and then when you hear that sound and see if you can detect any drop at any of the voltages at that point.

Also check your hard drive for any activity during the weird sounds. Is the light on constantly?