Your question

Overclocking a i7 3770k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Overclocking
January 12, 2013 8:31:16 AM

I would like to try and overclock my CPU to able to get better live stream and gaming quality. Also (I know this is not the area for this) I would also like to slightly overclock my graphics card for better performance. If any admin has an issue with me posting about a graphics card OC here then I can make a new thread under graphics card oc's. I am very new to dealing with computer hardware and also bios configurations so please do not be vague with any help you may be able to offer.

my specs:

Mother Board: Fatal1ty z77 professional

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 670

Case: CoolerMaster (not sure of exact series)

CPU Liquid Cooler: Corsair H80 high performance Liquid cpu cooler
Cooler Link: http://www.corsair.com/hydro-series-h80-high-performanc...

RAM: 16.0 GB

Power Supply: cooler master 700 Watt
Power Supply Link: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

I would like to oc the i7 to around 4.50 GHz safely (because of the cooler) while OCing the GPU to around 4.0 safely. Thank you for taking the time to help me with my problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any recommendations on what GHz I should set my cpu and gpu too while not sacrificing much life expectancy of the device would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Tim

More about : overclocking 3770k

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 8:52:34 AM

4.5 GHZ would be pretty hard the H80 isn't a great cooler, and gets defeated by lots of normal heatsinks.

Also, it would help if you told us what brand of GTX 670 you have, or if its generic as what it seems you've listed.

Overclocking takes time, its not easy to test and every silicon performs differently to one another -- The silicon lottery as its called.
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:04:28 AM

JJ1217 said:
4.5 GHZ would be pretty hard the H80 isn't a great cooler, and gets defeated by lots of normal heatsinks.

Also, it would help if you told us what brand of GTX 670 you have, or if its generic as what it seems you've listed.

Overclocking takes time, its not easy to test and every silicon performs differently to one another -- The silicon lottery as its called.

Okay not a problem, good constructive intuition like this is what I was looking for. The gtx 670 (this information is straight from the box so hope it helps): EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card (thats about all it says). Also I am in no rush to quickly overclock and my main focus is on over clocking the cpu and only slightly tweaking the GPU. thanks for your input
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 12:13:17 PM

Okay so no one has really replied to this thread yet with any helpful information so

let me rephrase the question:

I would like someone to post the tests I could run or the steps I should take to

start getting the necessary specs to be able to overclock the CPU. Any help would

be much appreciated. Thank you
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 12:54:39 PM

tim2298 said:
Okay so no one has really replied to this thread yet with any helpful information so

let me rephrase the question:

I would like someone to post the tests I could run or the steps I should take to

start getting the necessary specs to be able to overclock the CPU. Any help would

be much appreciated. Thank you

Quite frankly, you need to research on the internet and read some overclocking guides. It is asking alot for people to write you a complete guide here. Ivy Bridge is somewhat difficult to overclock (stable at least), and a large part of it is trial and error.

You need have CPU-Z and Core Temp, and Prime 95 to start. You need to understand what your maximum temperatures should be. You also need to know what settings you should and should not adjust in your BIOS.

You should not even attempt to overclock untill you know your temperatures under load to make sure your heatsink was installed and working properly.

The graphics card should be pretty easy to overclock - EVGA has some really easy to use overclocking software. If you register the card on their website its a free download.

Thats about all the information I am going to offer at this time - I don't want you to burn your computer up, which you very well may do unless you do your homework and read some guides.
m
l
January 23, 2013 1:00:02 AM

Adroid said:
Quite frankly, you need to research on the internet and read some overclocking guides. It is asking alot for people to write you a complete guide here. Ivy Bridge is somewhat difficult to overclock (stable at least), and a large part of it is trial and error.

You need have CPU-Z and Core Temp, and Prime 95 to start. You need to understand what your maximum temperatures should be. You also need to know what settings you should and should not adjust in your BIOS.

You should not even attempt to overclock until you know your temperatures under load to make sure your heatsink was installed and working properly.

The graphics card should be pretty easy to overclock - EVGA has some really easy to use overclocking software. If you register the card on their website its a free download.

Thats about all the information I am going to offer at this time - I don't want you to burn your computer up, which you very well may do unless you do your homework and read some guides.

Okay thanks android, I will most definitely take these steps and also take some time to figure out overclocking for myself using the programs you listed plus doing some research online. Thanks again for your help.
m
l
!