Only recognizing 4 out of 6 Gigs of RAM?

getajob92

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
So I built my computer not too long ago, and I've had a few problems with it so far. 'Tis my first ever build so I'm not completely experienced with troubleshooting.

Anyway, one of my current problems is that my computer is only recognizing 4 Gigs of my RAM out of 6 (2 out of 3 sticks). I actually read in the reviews for my MoBo that this was an issue with some people. I'm just wondering what I can do to fix it.

Relevant (?) Specs:

MoBo:
ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

Another problem I've been having is that when I start my computer up I have to start/shutdown multiple times before it'll post. Not sure if that could be a problem with the memory or not.

If you need any more info I'd be happy to give it. Just don't know what might be needed.

My initial thought, BTW this is common, is that your RAM is installed in the wrong slots; install in the White Slots A1/B1/C1.

Q - I too assume the Part-Number of your RAM to be {OCZ3G1600LV6GK}?
Q - Any Partitions?
Q - Any BIOS changes?

Verify the following {MSCONFIG}:
Boot_OPT.gif

If that fails then please post the following {H/W Reserve}:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

Then (1/2) problems - per image.
1. Hopefully bad seat; pull ALL RAM; blow-out ALL DIMM slots; clean ALL RAM contacts with Isopropyl alcohol {production oils} ; VERIFY snapped-in and properly seated.
2A. Try the "Black" even slots {testing for bad MOBO DIMM slots; 50/50 post failure or won't work, but it won't harm either.
2B. Worst case - BAD RAM stick; create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86+ D/L ISO/zip - http://www.memtest.org/

The 'typical' is seeing 2GB going rogue in the form of H/W Reserved; Detected but Unusable; you have Undedicated and obviously Unusable. -> hence bad or connections.

Edit:
2C. Try the following Combinations to Test for bad RAM stick {using 2 sticks} Slots 1 & 3:
DDR3_GA.jpg
[/img]