Sign in with
Your question

WHS Build Need Some Advice (first build)

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2010 9:33:21 PM

Hi im in the process of building a WHS

So far i have

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Memory: KHX7200D2K2 HyperX 1GB DDR2 RAM (2gb total) (4x512mb)

Case is the same as this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Coolermaster-PC-case-Used_W0QQite...

HDD: 4X Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Im looking for advice as to what i have so far wether its ok or not, also i dont have a psu yet and would like a reccomendation if possible.

Is there anything else i need ie heat sync extra fans? etc

also whats the feeling on WHS? im looking for ease of use and compatibility with ps3 etc

thank you so much in advance for your help!!

More about : whs build advice build

March 12, 2010 7:03:55 AM

Also im using the onboard sata to raid the drives it has 8 ports, it says i can use up to six at once and the other 2 seperatly, ive heard about putting the operating system on a seperate drive should i use the 2 for the operating system or just leave it all on the six?
March 12, 2010 1:17:40 PM

From everything I have read, the setup you have is fine for WHS - it really does not have very high system requirements (some of the boxed systems are Atom based).

I would point out one thing - WHS does not support RAID in any way. You can work around it, but it's not supported by Microsoft. You should check out the article on how it does redundancy and why.

If you feel a need for RAID, you may want to check out something else.
Related resources
March 12, 2010 6:49:24 PM

oh sorry yeah i did read that but i can still plug all my drives in and let whs software "raid" the drives tho?
March 12, 2010 9:37:42 PM

It's not actually a RAID, but the drive do plug in to the motherboard. You can turn on folder duplication for the folders you want to make sure you have two copies.

It should have no issues with plugging in the drives.
March 12, 2010 9:50:23 PM

I would install WHS with only one drive attached and then mark it - physiacally with a sharpie. Then add drives one at a time doing the same. WHS will make a boot partition on the C:/ for the os and then a data partition d for a landing zone when transferring files. Your specs look fine for a WHS. I have a similar setup using an asus socket 939 mobo with 8 sata ports on it and an x2-3800 and it is very capable. there is a great WHS forum at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windo...
March 14, 2010 7:27:32 PM

thanks for your help, i also am starting to wonder wether its worth putting a graphics card on as the mobo has no onboard graphics it seems there as some actions that require you do access the server directly?

do you guys ahev graphics cards on yours?
March 14, 2010 8:30:45 PM

The WHS is intended to be headless - you'll need a monitor (and therefore a graphics card) for the install and initial setup, but everything else is done through remote connector or remote desktop connection.

I've set mine up initially, but then removed the graphics card - need it for another setup.
March 14, 2010 8:36:52 PM

ive heard that term alot "headless" but i dont really know what it means? thanks for your help tho, im thinking of popping a real low power old vga one in just dont know what to look for! lol
March 15, 2010 1:13:50 PM

Anything graphics card will do. You won't need it for long.

Headless just means that you don't need a monitor (head) to work it. You do it all remotely.
!