Sign in with
Your question

Need advice. Selling a computer to build my own.

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2010 9:43:13 PM

I would like to build my own PC. I have a PC currently but it isnt what I want.
I have:
HP xw8200 workstation, 2x3.4GHz cpus, 4GB RAM, 2x CD/DVD burners, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400

1. How much do you think I should be able to get out of this?
2. Do you think I should keep this or build my own. (I kind of want to build one just for fun...good enough reason?)
3. I have been looking around here and there and have come up with this worksheet thing.
4. please dont be afraid to tell me what you think.
5. dont be too mean. i know my budget is low for starters but hopefully ill be able to save up a but more before purchasing....?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Anywhere between april. and July. I can get by with waiting because I will have more money this summer. (1G a month June July.)

BUDGET RANGE: selling the computer for 400-450 so far...too much? too little to ask? help?!
other than that. in june july i would like to have a couple hundred more saved lol.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: light gaming, surfing the internet photoshop but doesnt need to be PHOTOSHOP MACHINE!!...

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor: acer 23" FULLHD(DVI, HDMI, VGA) speakers, mouse, keyboard. not really wanting to blow ~100 bucks on BRAND NEW parts. see something in the for sale section of this forum or craigslist.org that is in ohio throw that link in.
JUST NEED TOWER.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg/TG are preferred, but am willing to buy used if need be on some parts...?
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: ? i am in the USA!

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type anything in my price range with good reviews...not crappy parts?

OVERCLOCKING: Yes would like it as an option....
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: not right now, but would like to keep my optinos open...

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: located in northwest ohio in case you want to link to CL or any other location specific site...THANKs!
March 12, 2010 3:14:18 AM

For what you're doing, and if the HP still runs good, I say keep it.
March 12, 2010 3:21:24 AM

yeah you would need to spend a lot of money on a board that holds 2 cpus ( 700 for theo nly one i know of ) and the case for it is speciality made cus the mobo is huge.

For what you are doing your old PC fine.
March 12, 2010 3:31:54 AM

I don't know what you can get for your server, however you could use some parts from it.

You could use the hard drives, DVD rom, ram, case, and possibly PSU.

Here's what I mustered up in a few seconds on newegg, only thing your missing from is the DVD rom drive which you could take from your PC you have now seeing as you have two.

And this has a pretty decent GPU in it, it can play most of all the newest games on medium/high settings.

After rebates its $453 (no shipping on this PC)

http://i42.tinypic.com/erdahc.png

!