Pc wont start after switching hardware

coenraad

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Hi,
My pc was running fine when i decided to see if my old 8800Gt graphics card, which supposably fried, might still work, It didn't, so i took it out again and then i put a 8600GT back in but then the pc wouldnt start either... Nothing would happen when i pushed the power button so i started taking the graphics card and memory out and putting them back in again many times and checked everythings connected properly and nothing looks broken, its looks exactly how it was when it worked fine but still wont start at all when i push the power button. Would resetting the cmos maybe help? I cant find it on the board though, it only has a clear RTC RAM jumper. The rest of the system is an asus p5kpl/1600 motherboard, intel e5300 cpu, 3 x 1gig samsung DDR2-800 ram modules, western digital 500Gb sata harddrive, liteon sata dvd writer, huntkey 500w psu and a xfx 8600gt and running on windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I would really appreciate any help

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

So to recap, when you "tested" the BAD GPU it killed your rig?

If I understood it correctly then there's a chance the BAD GPU also killed your PSU. I would either try another PSU if available <or> purchase a NEW PSU from a company with a 'good return' policy {a/k/a Best Buy}. Get a Corsair CMPSU-550VX ~$70; never an Antec.

coenraad

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
oh ok thanks for that. Could the psu still be blown if the motherboard light goes on when i switch the power on at the back of the psu? Because it does, and doesnt smell burnt or anything. Would clearing the ''RTC RAM'' in the CMOS (CLRTC) maybe make it work if the psu is fine? Maybe that does the same as clearing cmos because it doesnt let me do that

Certainly, you can Clear CMOS {Jumper or unplug + remove CMOS battery ~ 15 minutes}. Unless your PSU is a single rail PSU with {protection} it can do all sorts of oddball things.

Worst, I read this - and giggled - the "Exploding part especially":
"Huntkey's own brand name and others they manufacture contain low quality parts and cannot deliver their advertised power rating. Some of the psu's exploded during testing for technical reviews. The psu's are definitely not recommended. "

I would try what I recommended...

coenraad

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
oh my word man you were 100% right! I connected my ancient 300w psu and it works!!! :D didnt even clear cmos or anything, hopefully this 300w will handle my pc while i search for a new psu, haha and defnitly wont consider huntkey;-), thanks so much

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010

why never a antec power supply?

i currently have one a 600watt or something like that. it was a replacement for my 550watt that went bad and this one according to them has a lifetime warranty.

i am just curious as to why you said to stay away from them. i've yet to find reasonable priced power supplies that are modular.

ryan

Antec have very-very poor fault protection. What you want are Japanese capacitors + 1 Rail + Fault protection. Corsair is the cheapest that has all (3)+ features. I made this error in poor judgment years ago to save ~ $30-$40 for (2) PSUs and it cost me $500~$600 in blown GPUs AND (2) New PSUs -> I was a DUMBA$$.

I'd spare you my grief!

Sheesh
Antec's use the same fault protections as Corsair.
Antec's better psu's use all Japanese capacitors
Single vs. multi rail is a non issue

Some Antec's maybe use Japanese 'now', the do NOT use the same fault tolerance circuitry not voltage stabilizing circuitry, and yes a single rail is preferred to 2-6 rail {multi-rail}. Antec uses multiple quality standards across their lines; Antec is a cheap PSU.

In the past Antec had a very checkered past, and their PSUs were maybe a step above Huntkey's exploding PSUs.

delluser1 - go slap one in your rig...

Yes, now.
Yes same fault tolerance circuitry, Seasonic builds them for Antec just like they do Corsair.
Single rail may be "prefered" by you, but again it's a non issue.
Yes, multiple quality standards, Corsair has recently joined those ranks by offering a lower quality line as well.
In the past Antec got a bad rep because of the faulty capacitors used in the CWT built unit's they were offering, that stopped some time ago.
I have them in a few of my systems.

OK...prove it. I've heard this same unsubstantiated claim; SOS - Urban Myths. I don't need or care to see Forum junk...I mean a reliable source or Known Reviewer.

I also have used ENERMAX but after also using the AX1200,I am back to Corsair.

coenraad

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
hi... Um bad news.. My friend tried to see what the problem was with the huntkey psu and so i took out the 300watt to put in the huntkey and we turned the pc but it didnt turn on but the motherboard light was on. So we thought okay thats it for the huntkey and put the 300watt back in to the pc but when we turned it on the boot screen came on but then it restarted 3 times by itself, so we tried moving the cables around and then it wouldnt even load the CMOS/BIOS now it just turns on but it doesnt load just the fans move... :(

^Forum crap link, I could say ANYTHING -- are you going to link me as the authority {Urban Myths}?

Hey, my company process three states of REO data, "I know" we're heading for another financial collapse based upon my data...hmm I only process 3/50 states????

I am pretty certain, but there's too many factors - Chinese borrow another 1~2T, new laws -- but it hasn't happened yet...so?

Seasonic has been said...find a Corsair or Seasonic or other OEM site to confirm!

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/ForeclosureOptionARM.jpg

Hmm, you asked for a reliable source or known reviewer, apparently you have no idea what either of them are.
Jonnyguru ( aka John Gerow ) is pretty well known as the leading reviewer of power supplies.
Sorry I can't be of any further help to you.

I guess I would ask the same -- what's your point??

BTW that is a 2006 link, and what may have been is not true NOW.

My point is be careful what you believe is true UNTIL you know it to be TRUE. I read all kinds of 'stuff' and have no choice but to seek the truth. I prefer sources like overlapping {confirming} benchmarks, sources that are irrefutable {Intel, AMD, Corsair, ASUS, --- OEM site info, Official Press releases, etc}.

My little example {Alt-A loan} ... what you see on TV is NOT the reality of the financial crisis ... it's just a bunch of bobbing head sheep. Trust me sometimes ignorance is bliss.

My point was that are real reviews out there.
Yeah, umm, the link you provided is also from 2006.

My point - a was then vs is now; 'Seasonic' is old but NOT horrible news. Corsair is VERY conscious about their quality even in their basic product lines. I KNOW they do not Mfg for example the H50 and I KNOW they assemble, but they spec their parts & materials very well.

I will be the first to jump ship when there's better for same or less $. As I assume you know I build 1-2 rigs/mo and I've 'seen' good and I've 'seen' junk -- longterm is knowing and so far Corsair has been the least of my worries for quite sometime now.

I, like you, 'see' what works, fails, or is caused by user error. I rarly see bad Corsair products. 2300 + 3400 posts.