Intel 1366 Motherboard for gaming

jdbceltics

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I am planning on an Intel Core i7 950 and two GTX 460 1GB's. I need a motherboard that supports two GPU's in SLI, both at 16x. USB 3.0 is preferred, but not a must. Price between $150-250. DDR3 1600 or higher memory standard is needed.
I was set on the Asus Sabertooth as it has all of my requirements at the good price of $190, and it's Asus so it's a good name. The proble is I have read many reviews saying that there is not adequate space to run cards in SLI or CrossfireX, and if there is, heat is a major issue. Do any of you know of this is true?
If so, any reccomendations that meet my requirements (USB 3.0 not a must) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all- John

Also--- Is USB 3.0 even necessary to worry about? And will I be cursed for not waiting for "Light Peak"?

All of the PCIe are spaced the SAME; if that wasn't the situation then NO CASE would fit. Crap + Stupid-> "there is not adequate space to run cards in SLI or CrossfireX, and if there is, heat is a major issue. Do any of you know of this is true?"

I prefer the ASUS P6X58D-E and in particular the EVGA X58 FTW3 | 132-GT-E768-KR is a better OC & Gaming MOBO {$249.99}

If I am building a gaming rig - my priority is not to build a "Swiss Army Knife" MOBO; I want a MOBO that will OC {POWER to CPU + RAM/Phases}, and has the minimum of x8/x8/x8 or x16/x8.**

ASUS P6X58D-E = 3 (@ x16/x8/x8 or x16/x16/x1) ; better PCIe lacks high power
EVGA X58 FTW3 = 3 (x16, x8/x16, x8) ; good PCIe has high power

**USB 3 it's on the bottom of my worry list, but the MOBOs listed all have USB 3/SATA3.

Regarding the {GTX 460} then only purchase shrouded {front in/rear out} the non-spec cool the GPU AND heat the case.