ATI 5700 Vertical line crashes.

uzi9mm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hello,

i keep getting Vertical line crashes when i play any sort of game.

dad sent me a xps8100 and it came with a ATI card for some reason.

and i also don't know how to figure out the specs. And Im running Windows 7 64-bit.

uzi9mm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Windows Microsoft Windows 7 6.1.7600

Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

Memory (RAM) 6104 MB

CPU Info Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz

CPU Speed 2831.8 MHz

Sound card Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

Display Adapters ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series | ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series | ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver

Monitors 1

Screen Resolution 1600 X 900 - 32 bit

Network Network Present

Network Adapters Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet | DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card

CD / DVD Drives D: HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GH50N

COM Ports NOT Present

LPT Ports NOT Present

Mouse 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks C: 916.8GB

Hard Disks - Free C: 842.3GB

USB Controllers 2 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) 1 host controllers.

PCMCIA (Laptops) Not Installed

Manufacturer Dell Inc.

Product Make Studio XPS 8100

AC Power Status OnLine

Time Zone Central Standard Time

Battery No Battery

Motherboard Dell Inc. 0T568R

Modem Not detected

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

its off in most games and on in a couple others and it has crashed in all of them.

also i cant open CCC or ATI tray tools.

uzi9mm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
When I try to open CCC it gives no error and simply dosnt open.

Im not sure wich card it is i just know that it's a 5700 card, how would one find out what card?

dgingeri

Distinguished

I had my 4870x2 do this to me for a little bit. My performance in any game was horrible and Aero wouldn't enable, as well.

I uninstalled the current Catalyst driver and reinstalled 10.1 (at the time, the latest one) and everything came back.

Since 10.2 is out now, I'd advise using that. It could be that the drivers just got corrupted. It happens some times, but not often.

uzi9mm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Bump

Also I've observed that this seems to happen after I run Eve Online and Audiosurf, both of which use V-Sync with no native way in-game to disable it. So I think the V-Sync might be the problem like you suggested.

If this is the case, then all i would have to do is never use V-sync, which would not only solve the crashes, but it would also eliminate the input lag and the framerate cap. But the problem with this is that I cant disable v-sync in Eve or Audiosurf unless i use CCC Or ATI tray tools, neither of which I can launch.

Any Ideas on how I can get either of those up and running?

It's a known issue with ATI 5*** series cards. Here's a link to the game.amd.com's thread on the topic discussing the topic. As of now, there are several thoughts - Mostly centered around drivers - but there are also some suggestions that raising the voltage to the southbridge by a small amount might help.

My own new rig has a 5870 which I cannot use because of this. The manufacturer is working with me on it, so I'm not *too* pissed off... But I am annoyed that I have a $400 paperweight on my desk.

uzi9mm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I think i may Have FINALLY solved my problem, and would like to post it here in case anybody else has this problem:

I underclocked the Memory Clock to 900Mhz using AMD GPU tool, and it seemed to work, and of course disable Catalyst AI. I'm not entirely sure why it seems to be working though. Can somebody provide some insight on this?

However I just tried this today, so I might have to wait a little while to be certain. but it seems to have gotten rid of my problem completely. Although im a little upset that i cant clock the memory over 900(0!!!!11!)Mhz, im certainly happy about this.

cmunro

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I have the same computer purchased at Bestbuy. Ran great the first week and then started getting green lines across the display which progressed to blackouts and loss of mouse function.Called tech support,they had me reinstall the 5700 display driver(did not work).Next step was to do a clean install(complete waste of time)did not work.Started doing some research and found out the 5700 display card has been having issues and everyone is waiting on a fix.The following day I went down to good ol bestbuy's and bought a nvidia graphics card and that solved the problem.I'm a little angry I'm having issues with a brand new computer now I'm out $140.00 dollars for the new card but I did not feel like waiting around for a couple of weeks trying to get this thing fixed through the warrenty.I read somewhere that the card was having problems maintaining the correct voltage to keep it running properly.Good luck to you.

Cameron