Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to test compaq dps-250kb-2 b pwer supply

Last response: in Components
May 20, 2010 2:29:01 AM

Hello,
is there a way to test it mine is still working? It makes a high pitched sound when plugged in, oh, and it gave me a sweet shock - aside from the fact that I'm an idiot - is my PC issue probably NOT the power supply?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2010 2:41:02 AM

well did it shock u just the metal cover, or did u open it and it shocked u by an internal comprontent? if it was just the cover, throw the thing away...
high pitched sounds usually mean a vibrating/resonating coil or bad capacitor. the 1st is not bad its just annoying, but if its a bad cap then replace the psu. if this psu is a standard power supply, then you can test it out by shorting the green wire in the big 20 or 24 pin connector to a nearby black power. this will get the thing to at least turn on (if it works)... if it fails this test, then yep its the powr supply.
Related resources
May 27, 2010 4:26:16 AM

I'll try that - thanks for the speedy reply and thanks for being so descriptive!
I took the cover off and (like the electrical un-genius I am) I rested my palm on one of the two silver alloy-aluminum-looking-identical mine-towers.

I hope you know what I mean...hahah
But YES - the "guts" gave me a JOLT!
m
l
May 27, 2010 10:51:10 PM

Best answer selected by itlnstlnq.
m
l
May 27, 2010 11:48:23 PM

FAILED.
And Thank You Again for simplifying this issue for me.
You do great work.
-Steve
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 1:00:31 AM

glas i could help :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 1:10:23 AM

Just so people know some PSU will not power up without a drive or something connected to it. I have a few PSU's laying around and most will not power up without a hard drive or something connected.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 3:05:39 AM

with at ones. but atx should. afaik
m
l
!