Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth having 2 Harddrives, 1 for os and the other for gaming

Last response: in Storage
April 3, 2012 2:07:17 AM

do you think its worth the time having a dedicated gaming harddrive? after i found out you have to reinstall your games if you decide to reinstaall windows ive lost all interest
April 3, 2012 2:32:19 AM

Why not have 1 harddrive with two partitions?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 82 G Storage
April 3, 2012 2:36:49 AM

aaab said:
Why not have 1 harddrive with two partitions?
That can slightly degrade performance as the heads travel more than they would with a single partition. Having a dedicated hard disk for gaming (or other appliactions) would help only if the boot drive is busy with other background tasks.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2012 2:49:24 AM

GhislainG said:
That can slightly degrade performance as the heads travel more than they would with a single partition. Having a dedicated hard disk for gaming (or other appliactions) would help only if the boot drive is busy with other background tasks.

True there will be a slight degradation in performance,

As far as I know hard drive speed has very little effect on gaming (unless you don't have enough memory)
You will only notice the difference at loading times, and even then you may not even notice a difference depending on the game...
m
l
April 3, 2012 2:57:04 AM

Another option would be to use imaging software (Acronis True Image, Paragon Drive Backup, etc.) to save some time in the event that you do need to reinstall your OS.

I use an SSD with a my OS and a few apps/games, then have my secondary drives in raid for my storage and less commonly used apps/games. While I understand this may not be exactly what you're talking about, it is similar enough for me to say that I like using the configuration and it gives me a bit of peace of mind.
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:00:21 AM

My impression was the OP was considering the second drive to preserve applications and files if he had to reinstall his OS... was that not correct Diabo34life?
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:07:18 AM

Ironwilly said:
My impression was the OP was considering the second drive to preserve applications and files if he had to reinstall his OS... was that not correct Diabo34life?

yes thats correct, its a pain to reinstall skyrim and a bunch of other games. but the backup programs you were talking about seem useful. which one is best and how exactly do you use the program? i take it you save the back up to another harddrive when your ready to reinstall windows and then copy it back? not sure how it works.
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:46:21 AM

I like Acronis, but there are many good programs out there. Essentially it takes an image of your hard drive and backs it up to a DVD-r/BD-r/USB/HDD. Then if you have system crash or just want to reload things, you can restore it. This video gives a basic rundown of what the software features are:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...

In regards to adding the second hard drive, some applications will require you reinstall them in order to work after reinstalling windows, even if you have them on a second drive.
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:59:48 AM

Are you in a position where you have to reinstall windows now, or are you just hoping to restore some lost performance?

The image software solution I suggested isn't going to help if you're loaded with viruses or are having major OS issues already. What it will allow you to do is maintain a system that is working properly or restore to that good, working "image" if you run into major problems.
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:17:34 AM

Ironwilly said:
Are you in a position where you have to reinstall windows now, or are you just hoping to restore some lost performance?

The image software solution I suggested isn't going to help if you're loaded with viruses or are having major OS issues already. What it will allow you to do is maintain a system that is working properly or restore to that good, working "image" if you run into major problems.

for system stability i just use restore point, i make them periodically... im just looking for something to back up my registry gaming files so i dont gotta reinstall all the games
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:37:19 AM

I think imaging software sounds like a good solution for you then. You don't have to use the system restore-like features, but you always have the option. Then if you run into a problem you cannot solve without restoring windows, you load up the image and it reloads the system exactly how it was. This includes the files, updates, registry, OS, everything. It also serves as a great backup service for your personal files!!!!
m
l
!