Overclocking 3570K on Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3

dandare

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hi,

Having difficulty OC'ing an i5 3570k on a Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 (f8h Bios)

I have read the guide on this forum for Ivy bridge (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279408-11-bridge-overclocking-guide-3770k)

but it seems to relate more to 3770k so I do not know if it really applies. I have searched online and have found a huge range of opinion as to what is a "safe" day to day voltage, some say sub 1.28 others less than 1.3, other less than 1.35 and others say anything sub 1.4 is fine. Intel's max is 1.52 I think.

The problem is my voltage. I am using the offset method, so dvid adjustment. It takes 1.298/1.3 (under prime 95) to get stable at 4.4Ghz and 1.344/1.32 to get stable at 4.5Ghz - temps in Prime are around 79 max. Under Intel Burn Test Max setting, they hit 86 on core 2.

I currently have Turbo Boost, EIST and C1 set to Auto, and C3/C6 disable - as another forum guide said the opposite to this one and that you should disbale C3/C6 when Oc'ing using offset.

I have LLC set to High and DVID is + 0.070

PWM is set to Extreme Performance and Voltage Response is set to Fast.

I have not touched anything else.

My concern is that according to that guide I "should" be able to hit 4.8 at the voltage I am pumping in, but I do not know how much salt to take a pinch of with that guide really.

Adroid

Distinguished
I would not put the DVID at +.070

The intel recommended max voltage is 1.5V, I would personally not push past about 1.27 on air because my temperatures with my 3570K.

Most Ivy bridge has a "invisible wall", meaning that past a certain point - the chip takes much more voltage than it did at the previous speed setting.

For instance, my chip is very stable at 4.2GHZ with 1.235 voltage, and very stable at 4.3GHZ with 1.240 voltage, but at 4.4GHZ my chip still shows WHEA errors during Prime95 at 1.265V.

I hit 86C on one core with 1.265 voltage @ 4.4GHZ, and although my overclock was "mostly" stable at 4.4GHZ, I decided to downclock to 4.3GHZ for the "safer", cooler overclock with less voltage.

Every chip is different, and honestly you got a mediocre chip (like me). Some people can reach 4.4GHZ with less voltage and temperature - you and I cannot.

All things considered I am very happy with the 4.3GHZ overclock - my system runs extremely fast, and I am comfortable that I will get several years of good use out of it right where I'm at.

Adroid

Distinguished
And P.S. : You will hit a temperature threshold before you get voltage too high. Alot of people that hit 5GHZ use around 1.4V, and consider it "fine". Needless to say, most people running chips with that much voltage are using high end custom water cooling, and/or removing their heat spreader and contacting their CPU cooler direct to the CPU die.

If you are hitting 86C with 1.3V, do you really want to push your chip that hard is the question? Depends on a number of things - how long do you want your CPU to last, how pissed will you be if you burn it up?

You could also consider buying the intel insurance which I think runs around 20$, if you burn up one chip I believe they will replace it - in which case maybe you would be ok running 1.3V or more long term to your CPU on air. Do some reading if that is your choice.

fast666

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
i have a g1 sniper 3 and you cant leave load line calibration at auto please set too extreme or turbo you can reach easy 4.7 ghz whit 1.265 v core / load line calibration turbo / power phase extreme ! xmp profile 1