Sign in with
Your question

3pin and Molex conectors on a fan

Last response: in Overclocking
January 12, 2013 5:03:17 PM

The fans included in my case are very loud and i plan on using a 3 pin low noise adapter, the kind with a resistor, to lower the speed and noise. And from there use a y cable to have the effect on two fans. However these fans, white led fans, have both 3 pin and molex connectors on them that can be 'daisy chained' together. Would I also have to reduce the voltage on these, do they both have to be connected for the fans to work? I hope my question is clear. :bounce: 
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 11:15:15 PM

You can connect the fans to each other any way you like, so long as you don't pull more power than the the fan header you eventually plug into can handle. (Or more power than the in-line resistor can handle)

Just make sure that the only connection between the group of fans and the board runs through the resistor.

So: header>>>resistor adapter>>first fan>>>>other fans.
January 13, 2013 9:40:22 AM

Z1NONLY said:
You can connect the fans to each other any way you like, so long as you don't pull more power than the the fan header you eventually plug into can handle. (Or more power than the in-line resistor can handle)

Just make sure that the only connection between the group of fans and the board runs through the resistor.

So: header>>>resistor adapter>>first fan>>>>other fans.

Thanks, but just to verify, It is ok to ignore the molex connectors and just use the 3 pin?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 11:27:11 AM

yes genersally the molex are for connecting straight to psu and the 3 pin are for connecting to a motherboard although some psu's do have those 3 pin connections too,
you can ignore the molex connectors
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 5:18:01 PM

benenantor said:
Thanks, but just to verify, It is ok to ignore the molex connectors and just use the 3 pin?

Yes. As kiezz mentioned.
!