Synology DS-212j desktop HDDs for RAID 1

MR_AWESOME55

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I recently decided to buy the Synology DS-212j NAS and I am now trying to choose what hard drive to put in it for RAID 1. Synology's website has a list of compatible hard drives (ones that they've specifically tested) and I am currently considering the WD10EARS as it has decent reviews and fits my budget.

Does anyone know if this would be a decent hard drive for a RAID 1 configuration? If not, would you be able to provide some alternatives? I am going to put my budget at 119.99 before tax, and I'll only go that high if it were for a larger drive.

I've also heard that it is a wise choice to buy 2 drives from 2 different companies to lower the risk of failure. Is this something worth considering?

Thanks for any help!

FWIW: "Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (RAID-0 /
RAID-1).
- Business Critical RAID Environments – WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or
expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD’s
Enterprise Hard Drives that are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like
enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing."

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701229.pdf