Sign in with
Your question

260 GTX not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
February 27, 2010 10:13:38 AM

Hello,

On morning my computer wouldn't start. The standby light on the mobo would be lit, and when I powered up, the other lights and fans would go on for one sec, then nothing.
I was advised that it was probably the mobo or psu that was bust, so I got a new XFX nForce 780i SLI and a Corsair VX550W PSU

Both are installed but now my graphics card doesn't seem to work. The computer appears to start up fine, but the fan on the graphics card doesn't move, and there's not signal to my monitor.
I've plugged both 6-pin power cables into the g-card, and it's plugged in correctly. I've tried the other two PCI-E ports, but same.
I've tried switching ram's around, reset bios, unplugged all hd, etc. I'm lost really. Is it possible it was the relatively new Geforce 260 GTX that went dead on my all along?

All tips and ideas are more than welcome

More about : 260 gtx working

February 28, 2010 1:11:02 AM

Hello, first off I'd just like to just say there is no need to be so hasty to buy new things to replace what you think is spoilt. Especially as you never had any confirmation as what was spoilt in the first place, you could have saved yourself some money which could have been spent on an upgrade.

Your 550W PSU definitely meets the requirements. From what you said about the graphics card fan not starting up, it is really possible that the card is dead. There is a saying about electronics about the bathtub curve of errors. You will get the most errors for the equipment at the start and end of it's service life. Just because it is new doesn't mean that nothing is wrong, quality control sometimes doesn't do it's job properly. The good news for it is that since it's quite new, the warranty should still be in place so you could go exchange it. =)

Try seeing if you can get the graphics card into another computer to confirm that it's not working. If anything you can always reply and I'll come back to help you again. =)
!