Sign in with
Your question
Solved

5850 vs 8800GT: 3DMark 06 Almost no difference

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2010 11:14:36 AM

So I just replaced my BFG 8800GT OC2 card in my C2Q 9450 rig with a Sapphire 5850, and it only gets me about 1000 more points in 3D Mark 2006?

All drivers are updated. Any reasons why that may be happening?

8800GT = 10500 points
5850 = 11750 points

Also, what are the recommended settings for the Catalyst control centre? Namely the AA, AF, Catalyst AI, etc. settings. Or, can anyone point me to the best link for this info?
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 11:18:30 AM

Interesting could you post your specifications. This is what I need:

1. CPU clock speed (if it's overclocked otherwise I have the stock clock at 2.8 ghz)
2. Motherboard brand/model (if you don't know please use CPU-Z and hope it hast he model/brand there. If it doesn't open up the case, and find it)
3. RAM amount/speed
4. Power supply brand/model (I need a precise model so I can find out which PSU it is)
That is all.
m
l
February 27, 2010 12:13:28 PM

3d mark doesnt matter rly, cauz 5850 completely pwns 8800gt in all games with atleast 3 time the fps :D 
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2010 1:17:01 PM

CPU - stock speed
Mobo - Asus P5N-D
RAM - 6GB (2x2GB Mushkin 800MHz & 1x1GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz)
PSU - Corsair 750W (not sure of exact model name, etc.) - but not sure why this is important though
No other cards in the rig.

m
l
February 27, 2010 1:19:28 PM

The only other thing I must note, is that I did not re-install the OS (Windows 7 64-bit) after removing the 8800GT. All I did was swap the cards and install the ATI drivers.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 3:15:36 PM

I would recommend you uninstall drivers via the Windows Install manager or whatever it's called. Once that's done download driversweeper and run it on Safe Mode. Wipe ATI/Nvidia drivers. Reboot and reinstall latest ATI drivers.

Also did you make sure to connect the 2 PCI-E 6 pin to the GPU? Sometimes people forget to plug in the 2nd one.

Also the reason why I asked for your PSU model is because if it provides inadequate power it will do two things: A Corsair 750w is more then enough however so no worries there.
1. Show no display
2. Turn on, but give horrible performance.
February 27, 2010 3:31:33 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
I would recommend you uninstall drivers via the Windows Install manager or whatever it's called. Once that's done download driversweeper and run it on Safe Mode. Wipe ATI/Nvidia drivers. Reboot and reinstall latest ATI drivers.

Also did you make sure to connect the 2 PCI-E 6 pin to the GPU? Sometimes people forget to plug in the 2nd one.

Also the reason why I asked for your PSU model is because if it provides inadequate power it will do two things: A Corsair 750w is more then enough however so no worries there.
1. Show no display
2. Turn on, but give horrible performance.

The issue is not that the card doesn't work at all, it's that it doesn't seem to provide the results in 3D Mark 2006 that I expected, given what the 8800GT did. So I'm not quite sure how ensuring there's sufficient power or even reinstalling the drivers would help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 3:35:40 PM

what he said about the drivers is correct and making sure both power connectors are in place.

this is a common problem and why people went to the effort of specially making a driver remover program.

It should work, clears out remainders of the older NVidia and should make things run on a fresh driver install as they should ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 4:17:16 PM

Pailin said:
what he said about the drivers is correct and making sure both power connectors are in place.

this is a common problem and why people went to the effort of specially making a driver remover program.

It should work, clears out remainders of the older NVidia and should make things run on a fresh driver install as they should ;) 

Thanks for the support. Some people dont get it that insufficient power=insufficient performance. You can't input 10 watts of power and receive 20 watts of performance, you actually loose performance due to leaks (often caused by resistance, poor architecture, or heat causing the materials' electrical conductivity to decrease thus producing more resistance, then more leaks and more heat)

@Original post:

Just do what I said a few posts below, if that doesn't solve the problem report back and I will help you with other troubleshooting.
m
l
March 11, 2010 12:37:33 PM

Best answer selected by Sittler27.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 12:59:49 PM

ah, glad to see you seem to got things working as they should be.

What kinda score are you getting now ??
m
l
!