Sign in with
Your question

Artifacting on xfx7850 core edition with low temps

Last response: in Overclocking
January 12, 2013 7:01:46 PM

Hello this is my first post here, and I want to thank you all in advance for any help I receive. So when I put together my system:

Amd 8350 @ 4.00 mhz
gigabyte 990 ud3
8gb corsair @ 1600 mhz
xfx core edition 7850 2gb
coolermaster 750w
Azza solano 1000 case
x-fi sound blaster

The bios, AMD Overdrive, and easy tuner all said the gpu idled around 24-25C and the cpu from 29-30C with the fans on both manually at max (my ambient temperature is around 70-75F). So, in an effort to get some better framerates in games I crept up the gpu and memory clock speeds in overdrive until they were maxed out from 860 to 1050mhz and 1200 to 1450 mhz respectively, and they still only idled about 28-29C, with the power and fan sliders maxed out as well. So I figured that was safe, and it was stable through several hours of bad company 2 maxed out online at 1920x1080, and according to easy tuner and overdrive temps never got out of the low 50'sC

After that I tried some skyrim and have horrible artifacting, no matter how much I back down the clocks, nor how low the temp goes. I tried Empire total war and had the same issue, so I dont think it is the games. I also did a brief furmark test, letting it get up to 63c before shutting it off but noticed no artifacts in that program, and Bad company 2 still runs fine so I have no idea whats going on. I will appreciate any help, thanks.

*edit* I gritted my teeth and ran the full furmark and it stabilized at 76c. That's hot I know, but I doubt any of my games are pushing it to that, and there were still no artifacts or visual defects.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2013 10:05:59 PM

You mentioned "no matter how much I back down the clock".

Have you tried it with stock settings? (Stock voltage too)
m
l
January 12, 2013 11:47:56 PM

It is possible you have damaged your card due to the clock settings and/or voltage. Just because the temperatures seem acceptable doesn't mean that it is not doing damage or causing problems (artifacts and physical damage to core/memory).

Although as posted above try stock standards and see how that goes.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2013 10:36:28 PM

Hello sorry for the delay, I did put the voltage back to stock, I forgot to mention it though. It did not make a difference so I thought I would try taking it in to my campus tech guys, and they were equally perplexed that it could run a stress test no problem, but artifact in a game.

I was there about two hours trying different things, when we decided that since all I really had on there was steam, to just wipe the system and start anew to completely rule out any software issues. Well, it ended up working but I still have no idea what caused it originally, but I will definitely stay away from clocking the thing now.

m
l
January 13, 2013 10:41:09 PM

zcoot said:
It is possible you have damaged your card due to the clock settings and/or voltage. Just because the temperatures seem acceptable doesn't mean that it is not doing damage or causing problems (artifacts and physical damage to core/memory).

Although as posted above try stock standards and see how that goes.

Zcoot, I don't understand what you mean. I was under the impression that as long as it was operating well under the manufacturers stated safe temperature threshold that it would not do serious damage. Of course it will shorten the overall life time of it, but I had thought it wouldn't fry it immediately like that. I am not trying to argue with you I just havnt heard that before.
m
l
March 12, 2013 11:53:28 AM

riley93 said:
Hello this is my first post here, and I want to thank you all in advance for any help I receive.

After that I tried some skyrim and have horrible artifacting, no matter how much I back down the clocks, nor how low the temp goes. I tried Empire total war and had the same issue, so I dont think it is the games. I also did a brief furmark test, letting it get up to 63c before shutting it off but noticed no artifacts in that program, and Bad company 2 still runs fine so I have no idea whats going on. I will appreciate any help, thanks.

I realize I'm replying to an old post, but if it helps anyone, I had a similar experience with Skyrim and a 6870 Radeon card. It turned out to be a video card driver issue. Try turning off anti-aliasing until they fix the bug. Hope this helps.

m
l
March 27, 2013 5:09:27 AM

Hi guys same issue with a xfx 7870 on the 13.1 drivers i have narrowed this down to a driver problem as i tried the 12.8 drivers it didnt eliminatoe the problem but reduced it here is a youtube link to my vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQg1lRQSN1U
m
l
!