• Dell Inspiron
  • Desktops
  • Dell
  • Windows Vista
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2010 11:45:49 AM

hello im looking for a card for a dell inspison 530 1 gb running vista 64 bit it has 700 gig hard drive 6 gigs ram for under 1oo bucks but i dont know what type i need that will for sure fit i have the wide dell not the slim one ive never put a vidio card in so any help would be greatly appreciated thank you rick hill

More about : graphic dell inspiron 530 desktop 1oo

February 27, 2010 12:13:57 PM

hi rick,

for $100 i would suggest you get the following

an extra 1gb of RAM for your system, should cost about $20

either a ATI 4670 or an nVidia 240 which should cost about $80

this would be the best option for the machine.

dont forget the ram, you need more than 1gb of ram for games today.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:12:31 PM

dougie_boy said:
hi rick,
for $100 i would suggest you get the following
an extra 1gb of RAM for your system, should cost about $20
either a ATI 4670 or an nVidia 240 which should cost about $80
this would be the best option for the machine.
dont forget the ram, you need more than 1gb of ram for games today.

I think hes talking about the graphic card-- it says 6 gigs later in the sentence.

Rick-- To help you pick a new graphic card you need to tell us
1. what the power supply in your Dell is,
2. what resolution monitor you have
3. what kind of performance you want-- games? first person shooters? video-out to a TV? etc.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
March 3, 2010 7:22:34 PM

I have a c2duo 530 as well. What m/b do you have, and cpu.
Heres what I've learned in the past from Dell forums.
Quote:
The 530 systems were build with two different models of motherboards.

If your 530 was purchased with a Core 2 Duo processor and a 300w power supply, this PC may have 0RY007 motherboard, that supports Core2 Duo processors only. 0FM586 motherboard and a 375w power supply.

I have run a 8600gt in mine. A card without power connector might be all the stock psu can handle~?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 3, 2010 7:36:03 PM

i know from personal experience that 305w PSU can run a Nvidia 9600GT if you can find one for a decent price, otherwise get an ATI 4670

*actually just get a 5670, Nvidia is on drugs with their current prices.
m
l
March 10, 2010 3:17:38 AM

deadlockedworld said:
I think hes talking about the graphic card-- it says 6 gigs later in the sentence.

Rick-- To help you pick a new graphic card you need to tell us
1. what the power supply in your Dell is,
2. what resolution monitor you have
3. what kind of performance you want-- games? first person shooters? video-out to a TV? etc.

HI ALL I KNOW REALLY IS THATS ITS GOT 6 GIGS OF RAM AND A 300 WATT POWER SUPPY HOW DO I FIND OUT THE OTHER STUFF YOU SAID SINCE I GOT 6 GIGS OF RAM DO I REALLY NEED TO GET ANOTHER GIG TOO THANK YOU RICK HILL
m
l
March 10, 2010 3:40:46 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Hey rick--Please no caps.

This would be the best card that I would run on your power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 5670 should give you pretty good gaming performance for only $90. Its the newer version of the 4670 and offers greater performance for lower power usage.

oh sorry for the caps but who makes the graphics cards your telling me also do they just snap in like a stick of ram and then i instal the drivers does my pc take a pci e or pci or is there a difference thank you
m
l
March 10, 2010 3:43:26 AM

I agree with dedlockedworld, for maximum performance, in your dell, you need a card with no power connector, because at 300 watts, it really can't support a card with a addition power connector, also don't worry about the fact that the 5670 has 512mb of onboard memory, compared to whatever 1 gb card you have now memory size isn't a good indicator of performance, in fact i believe alot of manufacturers put cards in that have alot of memory, for the appearance of performance
m
l
March 10, 2010 3:47:46 AM

thank you so a 512 would be ok im not going to play any heavy games anyway how can i find out what i have now and thanks again
m
l
March 10, 2010 4:44:13 AM

yep 512 will be fine for most games, only at very high resolutions will memory start to effect performance, the 5670 is a pretty solid performer and depending on your screen resolution, will usually be able to play at fairly high setting,

you can find out what you have now as a gpu, by going to device manager, (you can find this easily on vista or 7 by simply typing in device manager in the search bar) and then look at display adpator click on it and it should have a drop down with the name of the gpu

if you having trouble finding it that way, you could google cpu-z and run the program. it's used to primarily find info on your cpu, but i'm pretty sure there is also a tab for your graphics card
m
l
March 10, 2010 5:08:30 AM

512 is more than enough ram on the card--you dont need 1 gb.

Yes-- it just snaps in like a stick of ram, its very easy! ATI makes the processor for the card I attached, Sapphire manufactures the card. There are many manufacturers, most are decent quality.

Just to clarify---If you are "not going to play any heavy games anyway" this card is more powerful than you need. This is the best card you can get under $100, its not the cheapest option to upgrade your graphics. (this is why i asked what kind of performance you were looking for in my first post)

If you want to save money, an ATI 4670 at $60 would still be a substantial graphics upgrade and let you play most games. Its somewhere around 30% slower than the card I listed.
m
l
March 10, 2010 6:03:12 AM

ok thank you so much but you are sure that the 5670 will for sure fit in my pc thank again RICK
m
l
March 10, 2010 12:48:26 PM

As long as you have the wide version of the Dell 530 and a 300w power supply you are good to go.

We know from your description that you have 6 gigs of ram and vista that your computer has the modern graphic card slot.
m
l
!